Gastro Obscura New Flavors Club: SOUP!

Welcome back to another edition of Gastro Obscura New Flavors, where WE suggest some new foods for you to go out and try, and we ask YOU to tell us about rare and unique foods that you think we should try.

(Image: Patrick Selin/Public Domain)

In this edition, we want to hear about SOUP! If there are two things that anyone who knows me knows that I love, it’s Star Trek and soup. Now I want to learn about more soups! Go out and try a new kind of soup that you’ve never had before, and come back to tell us about it. Or if there’s a rare and fascinating soup that you’ve discovered on your travels, come tell us about it in the comments.

Either way, let’s help each other find some new flavors and add a bit more curiosity to our palates in the process. Check out five of our favorite obscure soups from the Atlas Obscura database below, and give them a try if you can!

2 Likes

excellent! love soups!!!

Yeah! Let’s get out there and try some new soups! I also want to mention my favorite little known soup, the Polish masterpiece, Pickle Soup! It’s so good…

1 Like

Try the romanian milk soup. Carrots, potatoes and broccoli (or not), boiled in half water, half milk. Add a decent amount of salt, big amount of pepper and even more dill. Can be eaten hot or cold. Something to die for…

3 Likes

I have had conch but in seafood cocktails and I reckon some of the non-descript “seafood soups” I’ve had in my life included this shellfish, but I’d still really like to try the Caribbean conch soup.

I’m not necessarily interested in the food itself but how it inspired a Belizean song, later covered by a Honduran band into this absolute gem of classic Latin American party music. It also has what is probably the most early-90s video ever to exist.

2 Likes

beer and cheddar soup, soooo good.

4 Likes

Knoephla!
I first experienced it when I moved to northeast Montana, not far from the borders of North Dakota and Saskatchewan. This is a hardy soup, worthy of the landscape and weather. It’s essentially a thick potato dumpling soup. Every family has their take, and almost no restaurants make it with any real heart, so the best place to find it is community events like potlucks. My favorite variation had lots of sweet potatoes and really good bacon crumbled into it. The kind of soup that’s a not just a meal by itself, but a hearty one!

1 Like

Danes do a couple of fruit soups
Two common ones Strawberry soup (jordbær grød) is cold and sometimes eaten more as a dessert and other times as maybe a light lunch another is elderberry soup (hyldebærsuppe) eaten warm.

Danish hyldebær (elderberry) soup
5 c Elderberry juice
1/4 c lemon juice
water if you want for consistence and taste
1/2 c sugar to taste
3 Tbsp cornstarch

Combine sugar and juice. Add water, but taste as you go. It should be a bit on the strong side, so don’t add too much water or the soup will taste watery when hot.

Stir the cornstarch into a bit of the cold juice to dissolve. Bring sweetened juice to a boil on medium-high heat, stirring constantly. Stir the cold juice and cornstarch into the boiling juice. After the juice thickens and becomes clear, remove the soup from the heat. Eat warm with apple slice on top.

Jordbær grød
½ kg of strawberries
1½ dl water
5 tablespoons sugar
3 tablespoons potatostarch or corn starch
2 tablespoons water
Clean and slice strawberries then lightly boil in the water and sugar for about 2 to 3 minutes until about 2/3 cooked. Mix the 3 tbs starch and 2 tbs water together. Stir into fruit stirring constantly until thickened. Eat hot or cold (cold with a bit of cream or milk on top is the most common)

4 Likes

Cheddar and beer soup is pretty common in the Midwest where I grew up but it seemed like no one had heard of it in New England, nor the Pacific North West when I lived in either of those places and especially not in Denmark.

2 Likes

I’m considering this a soup even though its a stew but its delicious and a southern staple. When I was younger my dad was a pastor at a church in the middle of nowhere Virginia called Brunswick County. It’s debated as being the birthplace of the stew along with Brunswick, GA. Anyway, a guy from the church who was well-known for his stew would literally make pots and pots full, often freeze them, then sell them during the winter months. It was by far the best soupish dish I’ve every had. It was just perfect and hearty with a little kick. Thats my ode to Brunswick Stew lol.

1 Like

Two soups come to mind as something special, Well three but third is out of a can.

1. We are lucky enough to have a canteen at work with staff who are inventive and love to do theme day esp. during international sports events. Each event, they choose a country and showcase their food. The manager is Polish and he used an old family recipe for chicken soup, Slow cooked to just threads of meat in a rich stock. Sadly we rarely get as it takes so long to make the broth by slow cooking it is called grandmother’s soup.
  2. Italian bread and cheese soup ( zuppa di formaggi) - a veal or chicken stock poured over grilled cheese on slices of thick white bread. Fantastically filling and so tasty. Loaded with garlic too.
  3. Baxters Royal Game soup - in a can but rich with venison and rabbit, lovely on a cold winter day.
1 Like