"Ghost Nets Haunt the World’s Oceans, Hunting Beyond the Grave" Discussion Thread

Welcome to the discussion thread for the story, Ghost Nets Haunt the World’s Oceans, Hunting Beyond the Grave. You can share your comments and thoughts about the story in the conversation below.:tumbler_glass::ghost::vampire::coffin:

One of the saddest articles I’ve read (lately!)…and sickening, except for the fact that someone is at least organizing methods of cleanup.

Regardless of tracking, fining, removal, etc., I’d like to see the MANUFACTURERS of these nets be made to also pay fines, use biodegradable materials, and larger mesh netting. Those nets shown obviously collect and kill way too much bycatch, on the whole.

There needs to be more transparency between what fisherman are actually fishing for, and types of nets used. And not just at the dock, or in certain waters. All trawlers should be subject to being boarded for inspection in international waters, too, as their “lost” netting can drift into anyone’s local waters and wreak havoc.

Global ocean policing? Use satellites to track? Why not, before we further phuck up an ecosystem that is vital to ALL life forms.

Manufacturers of these nets bear much of the responsibility for the nets’ destructive properties. If they don’t accept it, then shut them down.

1 Like

Hey how about someone uses the ghost nets to haul in the garbage floating in the gyres? Yes, we would probably haul in a certain amount of sealife, but removing the trash would be a “net” win. Just thinking…

1 Like

For US fisheries, vessel monitoring systems have been required for several years. This is a large part of why I recommend that as you purchase fish you check it’s US caught for now, or that you check on the regulations for the countries that your fish market carries if it is wild caught. IUU (illegal, unreported, and/or unregulated) fisheries is a current hot issue for the US and Europe in fisheries management which will be receiving more reviews and efforts in the near future. I’m a recently retired Ph.D. in marine policy, so I see the material on these issues. You can keep up via NOAA’s web pages for the US information.