Goblin Valley State Park

Welcome to the Atlas Obscura Community discussion of Goblin Valley State Park in Green River, Utah. Ask questions or share travel tips, experiences, pictures, or general comments with the community. For the story behind this place, check out the Atlas Obscura entry:

I thought this place was definitely worth visiting. It costs $15 per vehicle for day use and also has a campground which is $30 a vehicle. Park Fees | Utah State Parks The Goblin hoodoos are different looking than the ones at Bryce Canyon and Fantasy Canyon and it is fun to walk around in the large field of them. What was really weird was these big green blocks of rock laying in the back of the Goblins and this humongous green mountain. I asked the clerks at the visitor center if they were “kryptonite” because I felt a little weak after walking near them. They said the green rock was called “glauconite” but I think it is more likely Morrison formation green clay -stone. It it pretty soft and breaks into layers. The surface of it seems to turn red when exposed to air.

1 Like