Goetta

Welcome to the Atlas Obscura Community discussion of Goetta. Ask questions or share tips, experiences, pictures, or general comments with the community. For the story behind this food, check out the Atlas Obscura entry:

I’m German American, from Michigan. My family on one side arrived in the US in 1920, on the other side somewhere around 1900.

We never made “Goetta” but we did have something we called “gritzwurst”. It used pork shoulder, buckwheat groats and onion. My grandmother followed her father’s recipe and we all loved it but when she died no one had the recipe.

I’ve tried but still can’t get it quite right.

2 Likes

dpmix, I also had a version of the exact same combination, but we called it Stubsel and it included pinhead oats and pork shoulder. Sounds like this was a staple across Europe, as my family came from Switzerland near the German border.

This sounds much like scrapple, which is a favorite in Pennsylvania and New Jersey. I suspect it, too, came from German origins.

Frankly, the idea of renaming Columbus is a ridiculous expression of currently fashionable, virtue-signaling pieties. But if it has to be renamed, Goetta, harking back to history, is a far better choice than flavortown, which suggest a particularly bad fast-food joint in a suburban food court.

I’m a first generation immigrant, and several branches of my family back in Germany had farms and did their own butchering. There were many variations of cooked meat scraps mixed with some form of cereal, filled into loaf pans, and then sliced and fried. Some variations used blood, some added liver, others were just meat scraps. These dishes were also often shared with the neighbors, as, in the times before refrigerators and freezers, didn’t keep too well, so it was more economical to pass these dishes around to the neighbors and to receive their dishes in return at another time.
The PA Dutch Scrapple is one such dish (meat scraps, meat broth with cornmeal). My family made Moeppkesbrot in the Muenster area: meat broth with blood and meat scraps, thickened with wheat flour. Also Kroese: Meat scraps, meat broth, thickened with pearl barley. This version doesn’t slice well, so it’s crumbled up as it’s fried, to gets lots of crispy bits. Leberbrot (liver bread) is meat scraps, meat broth, ground up cooked liver, thickened with wheat flour. Wurstebrot is meat scraps, meat broth with blood, rye groats (or buckwheat groats) and wheat flour. There are many local variations, using whatever cereal was abundant locally.

@dpmlx
Here’s a recipe for gruetzwurst. Unfortunately only in German, google translate should help with that
Hunger? Rezept auf Chefkoch.de:
Gebratene Grützwurst à la Oma