Going back to Taos in June

places-in-united-states

We went to Taos last Sept. '18 and met the most wonderful ‘guide’ imaginable. Her name was Elena and she was recently separated from Los Alamos Laboratory. She took my wife and I under her wing one night when we went to Eske’s Pub. We talked the entire time until we left about 11:00. She walked us up to The Historic Taos Inn where we (amazingly) found a seat to listen to the live music and dance. She took us on a tour of the inn (she knew everyone) and in minutes told us about the inn and pointed out its historic features. After closing, we were taken on a late night tour of the historic plazas with the most knowledgeable narrative imaginable. Going back June '19 to look for her.

Hello, I will be visiting Taos for the first time in May. I would love any and all suggestions for getting the most out of my visit. Kindest Regards, Maria

Hi Maria, Taos offers a multitude of opportunities. The Earthship community and Taos Pueblo are obvious AO locations. Another thing you encounter on the road to the Earthships is the Rio Grande Gorge Bridge and chasm. At over 600’ above the river, a walk across the bridge is awesome. On the way back you can stop at Taos Mesa Brewing for craft beer, live music, and community? (there is a radio station there). In town the Taos Plaza is filled with diverse shops and eateries that can take hours to explore. The Historic Taos Inn has live entertainment and exceptional food, beverages, and service. Close by is the Taos ski area that is a nice ride to visit even in the off season. Airbnb has many offerings if you like along with local and national hotels. Kit Carson Park and the Kit Carson Museum are always offering things to do throughout the year. Many other wonderful eateries, with and without live entertainment, abound. Hope this will give you some ideas to explore further and visit.

@jayatee63 nailed it. Both the Earthship community and Taos Pueblo are incredible glimpses into other ways to live; the Rio Grande Gorge Bridge is truly frightening; the Taos Inn has wonderful music and food (and a really great neon sign!). The only thing I’d add to the list, though it’s a 45-minute drive, is a visit to the Ojo Caliente Mineral Springs and Spa: https://ojocaliente.ojospa.com

It’s worth getting a day pass to experience the mud pool and iron spring.

Adding some Taos photos from a 2017 visit below.

Earthship Community

Taos Pueblo

Rio Grande Gorge Bridge

Taos Inn

https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/earthships

https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/taos

Planning a trip back to Taos in late May. My eighth visit.

Hope to see some more ruins and pictographs between Taos and Sante Fe and maybe do some whitewater rafting. The suggestions given already are very good. Most beautiful time to go is in mid October when the aspen and cottonwoods are flaming with yellow fall foliage. Unless you love snow and like to ski.

A visit to Arroyo Seco is an interesting stop on the way to the Taos Ski Valley. Grab some lunch and a latte at the Taos Cow (front right) then wander around and check out the shops. Arroyo Seco Mercantile (midground left) offers shoppers a uniquely eclectic southwestern experience.

If you are heading towards Ojo Caliente

and want to see some truly amazing geological formations (as in other worldly) go a little further to Abiquiu and check out Plaza Blanca.

And if you have time and like ruins make a day trip to visit and hike Bandelier National Monument near Los Alamos to see (and climb into!) the cliff dwellings, they are a mini version of Mesa Verde.

Casual Dining
Disclaimer: In a small town like Taos the employee pool is pretty small. Be prepared for service to be slower than you are used to. If you have ever been to Mexico - the pace is similar.

Orlando’s Mexican Restaurant
Fun ambiance, outdoor dining and fire pit, great Mexican fare, large servings. I could eat there every day and be perfectly happy.

Pizanno’s Pizza
Order a house salad and some pizza, fresh, yummy, fun atmosphere, vivid stoner mural inside over door, great views of Taos Mountains if it is nice enough to eat outdoors.

Taos Diner
Great Mexican comfort food, period. Large portions, lunch and breakfast fare, very consistent. Funky local artwork.

Farmhouse Bakery and Cafe at the Overland Trading Co., eat breakfast there at least once or at least get a cup of coffee and a pastry. Very pleasant ambiance. My experiences there have always been good… but, on occasion service has been very slow even when there are no other customers. I didn’t mind because we were in no hurry.

hrobb, your reply was great. I fully intend to check out Arroyo Seco. Interestingly, in looking closely around the area I ran across the D.H. Lawrence Ranch. Such an interesting story attached to the site. I hope it will be open for visitors by June. Another of your finds intrigues me, Bandelier National Monument. Again, I think we’ll work a visit there on the trip. Some of the other places we might have to leave to a future trip back. Thanks for the insightful information and pictures.