Gorreana Tea Plantation

Welcome to the Atlas Obscura Community discussion of Gorreana Tea Plantation in São Miguel, Portugal. Ask questions or share travel tips, experiences, pictures, or general comments with the community. For the story behind this place, check out the Atlas Obscura entry:

My traveling companion and I visited the Gorreana plantation during our stay on Sao Miguel. The owners were gracious hosts, Virtually the entire processing operation is open for tours. It was particularly interesting to see the complicated machinery; designed at the turn of the 20th century, and water-powered. just like a New England mill. The sorting bins, roasters, new and old equipment waere all open to view. The museum of ancient hand tools on display was also a treat for a history buff like me.
The clean room was another mix of state-of-the-art equipment and a work team hand-picking a pile of tea for packaging. A modern tea bag making machine can be viewed through the protective glass barrier.
The tour ends in the canteen, where tea can be sampled, along with a light snack or lunch. Of course, they are gift boxes and various teas for sale as well. All in all, this was a surprisingly entertaining stop at a very plain looking building, surrounded by breathtakingly beautiful scenery. …and the tea is very tasty, too.