Graffiti viewing destinations?

I was recently in the up-and-coming arts district of Asheville, NC where the whole neighborhood is filling up with new galleries, coffee shops, a brewery, skatepark, restaurants, etc, all in a previously abandoned area that is absolutely COVERED in quality graffiti pieces. While I’m sure this is fairly unique it made me wonder about other graffiti-viewing destinations out there in the US? I know this typically means abandoned and/or off-limits areas and I can hear those of you that know saying “I smell bacon” but nah, that ain’t the case. I just love exploring and taking pics of the stuff!

So any recommendations?

1 Like

I haven’t been, but… found it here on AO…it seems Rapid City SD has a nice ally!
I love that you posted this. It will definitely go into our lower-48 road trip plan!

1 Like

Wynwood Walls in Miami, FL is one of best-known globally. For the same reason though, many consider them a bit over-commercialized but hey, you be the judge.

2 Likes

Hi there - I’ve been similarly fascinated with street art and living in Florida, there’s something called the mural trail throughout the entire state. Tons of murals and artworks, often in places you wouldn’t explect (like Lake Placid and Palatka). St. Petersburg has so many that there are multiple mural tours and an annual mural festival there called Shine St. Pete.

Here’s a link to the mural trail for you:

You can check out a bunch of great spots in this thread:

2 Likes

Greensboro, North Carolina has a large Public Art Project. Check out www.publicartgso.org for a map of where to find the 150 murals currently adorning the buildings in Greensboro. They are amazing!

1 Like

Wynwood in Miami is incredible. I know that Downtown Los Angeles also has graffiti tours. Outside the US, we went on an incredible art tour in Buenos Aires.

Clarion Alley in the Mission in SF comes to mind. The whole alley is covered in murals painted by the Clarion Alley Mural Project. It’s mainly political art, and a lot of it is really great stuff (imo). In the last few years it has become pretty crowded with people taking selfies for instagram in front of the murals. Nothing wrong with selfies or instagram, but it does feel a bit inappropriate considering the themes of many of the murals (gentrification, institutional racism, etc…)

[source]

[source]

[source]

[source]

[source]

[source]

[source]

1 Like

The aptly-named Graffiti Alley in Central Square, in Cambridge, MA is a legal place for graffiti, and as such is constantly changing. I keep planning to put my own piece up there some day.

1 Like