Granite Ghost Town

Welcome to the Atlas Obscura Community discussion of Granite Ghost Town in Philipsburg, Montana. Ask questions or share travel tips, experiences, pictures, or general comments with the community. For the story behind this place, check out the Atlas Obscura entry:

The road is completely impassable by car. We hiked in the last two miles, over steep and rocky roads. I would not try to take on the road with a vehicle unless you have at least 8 inches of ground clearance and a 4WD.

2 Likes

This is true if you take the road that Google Maps directs you to. The actual road isn’t bad at all. I probably wouldn’t take a sedan up it, but it’s nothing compared to the one @caitlinkimmet describes, which I, also, spent far too long trying to drive before deciding there is no way it could possibly be the right way. I’m honestly surprised we didn’t rip up the bottom of my SUV. We eventually gave up, descended, and found the correct road. Ignore Google Maps and get directions from locals or the State Parks office.