Greatest Street Art Spots in the World

show-and-tell
grafitti

I love street art and I have seen and photographed it as I find it. I have to do shout out for Toronto’s Graffiti Alley made famous by CBC’s Rick Mercer’s rants.

7 Likes

Ha right? I stared at that one for quite a bit trying to work it out when I saw it.

2 Likes

You got to Gent before I could! I used to live there. :slight_smile:

Atlantic City NJ has started a project to bring some of the more rundown areas back to life with murals painted by local artists. The project is called 48 Blocks and last year they added 8 murals to the cityscape and are planning on another 25 this year. Being that AC was the foundation for the Monopoly board game, this one is my favorite, but I can’t wait to see what is in store for this year!monopoly%20graffiti

1 Like

We hiked the Portuguese El Camino last year and saw these nice pieces of street art in Spain on the way to Santiago.

5 Likes

I am probably going to take some flack for this. I may be the only one on AO who dislikes this so-called “street art.” It may be classifiable as art but to me it is the worst kind of tasteless marring. I would much rather see a ruined building simply falling into decay that to see it covered with gang-related tags, scribbled penises, hackneyed cartoon characters and near lawless people hailed as heroes by the painters. Whole or parts of in-use brick buildings covered with murals, concrete bridge structures made up like fantasy sex workers, floating bloody eyeballs peering from over urban fences–when did this chaos become desirable? What most urban buildings need is a good cleaning, refurbishing and TLC–not coat after coat of garish paint. Nothing symbolizes urban decay–to me–more than graffiti and mural art on buildings.

I love the Lichtenstein-esque dead lovers and the sentiment behind it ! Beautiful !

1 Like

Nice! It’s a lovely city!

Oklahoma City has Plaza Walls – it’s a curated, rotating mural exhibit in one of the arts’ districts. The rotating part is especially fun!

This Will Rogers mural is my absolute favorite and was one of the first when the Walls debuted in 2015:

And here are some pictures I took back in summer 2017 of the murals:

2 Likes

One of my favorite places to visit is Las Vegas. Not only does it have gambling but also a very good underground art scene…this piece is one of my FAVORITES! I think his name (of the character) is Felipe. Such an expressive piece of artwork! Love it.

2 Likes

That one from Nepal is pretty cool, especially with sunlight hitting it.

2 Likes

The street art in Bogotá, Colombia is amazing, particularly in the Candelaria district. This picture is just one of them; the artistry, quality, and creativity is incredible.

4 Likes

The “La Fresque du Petit-Champlain” mural, painted in 2001, is one of several similar “frescos” in and around Vieux-Québec (old Québec City); there are also some very creative murals that fill the entire trestles under some of the underpasses.

4 Likes

Great photos! Interestingly, I did a street art tour in Lisbon and did not see any of the ones you posted but a whole bunch of others… like these:

The second B&W one was done all with electrical tape. The third is one of everyday people in Lisbon. The last was impressive because it was done on a lumpy wall, going around the corner - incredible technique

2 Likes

There’s some amazing street art in Oaxaca, Mexico- much of it inspired by the social justice movements in the area.

2 Likes

San Francisco’s Mission District has some breathtaking spots:

So Much Space by Sean Davis, on Flickr

Balmy St by Julien Chatelain, on Flickr

The Apartment by David McSpadden, on Flickr

San Francisco-Mission District by emile lombard, on Flickr

Here’s a recent book featuring the art:

When traveling, I’ve often expected to see and enjoy street art, but San Juan, Puerto Rico, surprised me at multiple turns and gave me chills.

Untitled by Shannon Badiee, on Flickr

Untitled by Juan Cristobal Zulueta, on Flickr

street art. by jason saul, on Flickr

The art and awe is certainly not limited to the Santurce neighborhood, but this article gives an idea of what you can expect. For this and other reasons San Juan is one of the most beautiful places I’ve visited.

3 Likes

That’s such a cool mural I had to go look up some of the others The Eye Deceiving Murals of Quebec City | Amusing Planet They are all pretty spectacular!

1 Like

Squirrelly street art in Florence, Italy (April 2019)

2 Likes

Penang is know for its street art!

Delhi has some great street art and there was a lot that dealt with climate change!

And, I loved the street art in Kuala Lumpur.

3 Likes

These are incredible! Especially the shadow installation!

1 Like