Greenbelt Historic District

Welcome to the Atlas Obscura Community discussion of Greenbelt Historic District in Maryland. Ask questions or share travel tips, experiences, pictures, or general comments with the community. For the story behind this place, check out the Atlas Obscura entry:

Greenbelt is one of the communities my fire company runs into. I have been on many fires in Greenbelt. Back in the day, Greenbelt was the place to be. Mostly inhabitated by federal and Nasa workers. Greenbelt had a place where hobbiest could race slot cars on a hugh slot car track. It was in the same building of the bowling alley. I also was a member of the Greenbelt Concert Band for many years and played concerts right there in the shopping center. Greenbelt concert band has a long history from the very beginning. The movie theatre was a single movie theatre that showed top movies. Before the big chain theatres. Today, Greenbelt is still the same. Very little change. It is showing it’s age. It has it’s own fire company. Station 35. I have transfered to this station for major fires in the area. The Greenbelt Lake at Buddy Attick Park is first rate and had good fishing, a good play ground and lots of land to hike. Our Concert Band played lots of 4th of July Concerts. The fireworks displays were some of the best around. Greenbelt has a National Park that is first rate for being in suburban Maryland. Good camping and hiking trails. As a Boy Scout, I have done camporees there. Greenbelt is part of my life growing up.

2 Likes

Greenbelt is my home town. My Dad saw the documentary “The City” at the 1939 World’s Fair in NYC. It contrasted family life in slums with raising children in planned communities like Greenbelt. When he was stationed in DC during WWII he remembered the movie and signed up for a home. I think that’s what convinced my Mother to marry him. The sidewalks were designed with underpasses so no one ever had to cross a street. There were houses of worship and two elementary schools, softball fields, free tennis courts and a youth center. And you could walk to the ‘Center’ for band concerts, the post office, bank, grocery store and credit union. Also a big public library and the first public swimming pool in Maryland. My family still lives there and it’s a great, affordable place to retire. Nothing has changed is not quite so. The best remains: Fabulous July 4th fireworks and the county-wide Labor Day parade…And thanks for being in the band!

2 Likes