Haint Blue Porch Ceilings

Welcome to the Atlas Obscura Community discussion of Haint Blue Porch Ceilings in Beaufort, South Carolina. Ask questions or share travel tips, experiences, pictures, or general comments with the community. For the story behind this place, check out the Atlas Obscura entry:

Several cultures claim blue protects against evil. Mostly associated with Turquoise stones. Tibetan, Celtic, & Hopi come to mind but there are plenty of others that don’t. So it’s associated with the sky, but then what? How does it work?

My first encounter with a Blue Porch ceiling was in the beautiful historic town of Ocean Grove, NJ.
This tradition of Blue painting was not explained to me that way, but that the blue was a deterrent to mosquitoes. The town, a Methodist Camp, was built on this spot on the New Jersey shore for a great reason, very little insects! The blue was an extra to keep the critters away. It does work, no beasties!

2 Likes

I grew up in Victorian houses with porches in NJ. They had blue ceilings—there was a particular, robins-egg blue that was used. When I bought my own Victorian with a porch in Massachusetts years later, of course I painted the ceiling that same blue. I never heard anything about the reason why. It was just tradition.

Mous, like it says in the article “Painting the ceiling of a porch in robin’s-egg blue tricked a haint into believing that the porch was water, which it could not cross, or endless sky, which would lead it further from the intended victim.”

There is one true living God. This article kind of explains why He allowed slavery in the United States. The gods of this world are nothing.

The tradition of blue on porch ceilings is actually linked to keeping flies away. I have a 140 year old Victorian and became curious about the tradition. The ceiling on my porch was the same horrible green as the original gable trim paint. Naturally I hated it. When I made her a Painted Lady, none of my trim colors were anything I wanted on the ceiling (very bright). I wasn’t sure about adding another color to her palette, and so started researching deeper and even reading anecdotal tales of older citizens, I discovered it was used to ‘trick’ flies into believing it was sky so they don’t land (and poop lol). Absolutely works like a charm. My old ceiling was covered in fly specks, along with nasty bird nests tucked into the Gingerbread. While I’ve had some wasps and bees, I haven’t had flies (or nesting birds) since changing the color. I’m also curious if that’s why hummingbirds now visit the flowers on my porch. It’s so beautiful and peaceful.

1 Like

Hayes Carll sings about a turquoise-painted front porch ceiling in his recent song “None Ya”.