Harry Andrews' Chateau Laroche

Welcome to the Atlas Obscura Community discussion of Harry Andrews’ Chateau Laroche in Loveland, Ohio. Ask questions or share travel tips, experiences, pictures, or general comments with the community. For the story behind this place, check out the Atlas Obscura entry:

I love the boldness of creating a castle here in the states! Hard to believe that this was one fifth in scale(!).

As a side note, really sad to hear about the owner; I myself have a sister-in-law who also became ablaze while cooking at the stove. I can’t say enough how important it is to apply the “drop and roll” technique/adage if one finds their body on fire. It’s sort of a stop whatever you’re doing, get on the ground as quickly as possible and ROLL until the fire is out. If one does that quickly enough I suppose they may not even have to go to the hospital (potentially).

My family and I went to the castle today, and it’s a lot of fun. Definitely a work of love by Andrews. He built it to inspire people to be like the archetype of knights - chivalrous, respectful, and to follow the Christian Ten Commandments (which are posted in cement in the castle). And it’s got lots of not-medieval touches, including stones from the various places he visited. The origin of those stones is written in the cement underneath each one: including one from the top of Pike’s Peak.

And he had a sense of humor: there’s a “dungeon” with a cell that contains the skeleton of a “Wild Man.”

It’s a fun place. And the fellows who keep it open are a lot of fun as well.

Oh, wow! Am driving cross-country and almost went to the castle on Friday but ran out of time. Sounds like I missed something good!