Have any feedback about our forums? Please let us know!

Ah, yes. There is an issue with the way our system is currently counting and displaying posts, but we are working on a fix that should hopefully correct that (and allow for an infinite forum topic scroll) very soon.

In the meantime, to answer your question, I am hiding all of the missing topics in a shed in an undisclosed location. Sometimes I visit them, and read them, and laugh to myself in delight and appreciation for our wonderful community. It’s not weird at all.

2 Likes

This is quite acceptable Mr. Grundhauser. I appreciate your responsiveness and I’d like to subscribe to your newsletter.

1 Like

Well you’re in luck…

https://www.atlasobscura.com/newsletters

0 Likes

Been there, done that, got the merit badge.

1 Like

It would be great if there was a link to forum users AO profile somewhere on the forum. I often want to click and see what they added and its complicated right now. (Especially if the username does not match the display name, like my case.)

Maybe another cool statistic would be, how many people have visited your added places or want too.

And the last one is a question. How are the most popular places of a city/country determined? It does not seem to be the sum of the ‘Been here’/‘Want to go’ numbers, as some places have a higher sum and are still low.

1 Like

A link to a forum users Atlas profile is a terrific idea. We’re aware of the difficulty of navigating between the forums and the main site, and we’re trying to find ways to make that easier. There are also a number of changes to the user profiles in both places in the works that will hopefully make that easier as well. Also, great suggestion about the added statistics, we’ll keep it in mind!

In terms of the popular places, they are ranked based on the number of people who marked, “Want to Go.” Not the sum of the interactions.

Hope this helps and thanks again for the feedback!

2 Likes

Oh so the ‘been there’ does not matter? I usually take my ‘want to go’ off if I visited a place.

1 Like

Well I was waiting to begin reading today, but it appears many/most members who are commenting have already read the book. So the first posted discussion topics are a bit of “spoilers” to me. I am not, therefore, reading them carefully yet. So I was looking for a topic along the lines of “what are your first thoughts about reading the first chapter”, ha ha! It’s also hard to decide how to pick a topic to join in on the discussion. If there is a reply, it only goes to someone specifically as a reply to them only, or does everyone who reads all the comments on a topic also see all the unique replies? I wonder how to pick a place to start interacting when there are discussions willy nilly all through the book?

0 Likes

To keep the BC discussion tidy, I would suggest people using the quote reply feature (highlight the specific question/comment you wish to reply to, and click the “quote”). This would help a lot.

If you want to talk about “spoiler” stuff, you can use the spoiler feature.

<details><summary>Spoiler Title</summary>Spoiler Contents</details>

it would look like this

SpoilerMade you click.
2 Likes

This is a great suggestion! Thank you!

0 Likes

Sorry for the confusion! We’re just discussing the first couple of chapters in this session, and then we’ll tackle the next couple of chapters next week, and so on, so there’s still time to catch up! Also, we’re still working on how best to order the discussion, so thanks also for your feedback!

0 Likes

Suggestion to have links open in another tab instead of the same window. It takes you away from the AO forums and if you’re like me and have meandered on and on reading through different articles, it’s harder to get back to the forums to read existing topics.

1 Like

You can actually change that on your Preferences – Interface setting.

4 Likes

Thanks! I was thinking more of it being the automatic or default instead of having to choose - that way people stay longer on the forums. :wink:

1 Like

I’m sure the staff can change the default setting for all users, but it’s always good to know that you have the options too.

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback, Anya! We allow people to choose their preference because we’ve also heard from people that having links auto-open in a new tab is annoying.

2 Likes

Totally agree - options are always good.

1 Like

What does it mean if a spot is locked from editing but not changed? Its been like that for more than a week so I’m curious.

1 Like

Hey again @coolcrab! So if a place is locked for editing, it means that one of our editors is working on it, or has put it in their queue yo be edited. If a place is locked for an extended period of time, it’s likely that it is being held by an editor to be finished up. Sorry for the confusion, and I hope this help answer your question! As always, if you reach out to the editors at the places email, they can answer with more specifics about the place in question. Thanks again for reaching out!

0 Likes

If someone accidentally replied to another user instead of the thread in general, is there a way to correct the post? Just curious.

0 Likes