Have you ever traveled with a dog?

Check out GoPetFriendly. They live in an RV and travel all over the US and Canada with their 2 dogs. They have so much information about places that are dog-friendly and how to travel so it’s safe and fun.

https://www.gopetfriendly.com/

We take our boys everywhere we can! and our last dog was NEVER left home except for when we went to Paris- that was a 15-hour flight and him being a 100-pound golden retriever it would not have worked.
My dogs are my kids so they go everywhere- mostly to the snow (I live next to the beach in California so we have to drive to the snow) but our last golden went to San Francisco, Tahoe, Yosemite and the mountains.

here he is in Yosemite.

What a smile! He’s very proud of that waterfall that he found.

My family and I just did about a 4,100 mile trip with 3 dogs: two Boston Terriers and a mutt. Their weights are about 12 pounds, about 20 pounds, and about 40 pounds, respectively.

We drove from the US into Mexico and back. Before we left, my wife got health certificates for each dog–including rabies vaccine info–from the vet. If you follow a similar trip, be sure to bring unopened, made in the USA, dog food for the return trip: friends have told us they had to throw away open dog food when entering the US from Mexico.

Unlike some of the pictures on here, we kept them in a crate while traveling. The crate was tied down in the minivan for safety and my son sat next to them to keep an eye on them.

We stayed at either a Motel 6 or a La Quinta Inn while on the road. Both hotel chains accept pets, but La Quinta just implemented a $15 non-refundable deposit for pets (this dictate came from their new parent company). We had a collapsible crate we used in the hotel room.

Be sure your dog likes car trips–or talk to your vet on what to do so your Zeke does not get sick or too anxious while riding.

Be sure to allow time to stop so Zeke can smell the hydrants, go to the bathroom, and run off some energy.

I hope you and Zeke have great adventures.

he had just got done playing in the stream so he was very happy!

Hi: My wife and I traveled extensively with our dog “Duke” back in the 80’s and 90’s when we were on the road on business all over Canada and the US. We traveled in a camper van and he loved every minute of it. He was a lab cross and made friends with our business contacts everywhere we went. When we did trade shows the first question people would ask was, “Got Duke with you?” Duke’s best friend back home (apart from me) was one of our cats. While we were on the road, every time he saw a cat he would look at it very closely to see if it was his buddy and when we got back home from a trip the first thing he did was reconnect with his friend.

All these stories and photos are fantastic! Thank you so much for sharing them all. Keep 'em coming! I will never tire of hearing about and seeing photos of adventuring dogs.

My Precious Plum is a Poodle / Shihtz and weighs 9 pounds. She is an avid traveler and has accrued more travel miles than some people I know. She has been on airplanes, trains, buses, boats, ferries, bicycles, scooters and motorcyles. We love taking her on holidays. We live in Italy. For her to travel, she had to be microchipped and her vaccinations kept up to date. She was issued a pet passport which, gives her the wings to fly throughout the world. My biggest investment was her soft sided (collapsible) airline approved pet carrier. The 160 bucks was a small price to pay because it has been scrutinized, inspected and always passed even under the most critical eye. Surprisingly, most airports have become increasingly pet friendly with pet relief stations. Even better, hotels and vacation homes also welcome our furry kids. Plum is a fabulous traveling buddy. She goes everywhere we go! Buon Viaggio!

I travel with my girl all the time.

Some car travel tips:

1. Get them acclimated to travel early. My girl goes with us to brunch, local hiking trips and shopping. To her, getting in the car means something fun and exciting and not scary or unusual.
  2. During the warm or really cold months leave the pups at home.
    It too hot to leave them in a car or to comfortably sit with them outside.
  3. Bring a blanket or bed from home. The smell is enough to calm doggie nerves.

Air Travel

1. When I can afford it I travel business or first to have the leg room for my girl to stretch out.
  2. Be prepared to pay a lot to bring your pooch. Choose airlines that let them travel in the cabin.
  3. Bring lots of treats

— Every Perfect Dog, All the Time

I do a lot of road trips with my pup. (The logistics with flying is too complicated)
The key is to start them early - mine starting camping with me as a puppy.

Here is her instagram:

We are full-time RVers who have been traveling the US for three years with a 13 year old lab/Bassett (Mabel) and a small cat (Sylvia). The dog already loved going for rides but she really enjoys the space of the RV and sleeping on her own bed as we drive. Took Sylvia awhile but now she just sleeps on my wife’s lap the whole trip.

Once we land they are anxious check out the new territory and smells. There have been some restrictions on our activities due to rules regarding pets, especially hiking in national parks, but those were easily offset by the enjoyment we get from our travelling companions.

We road trip with our girl all the time!

We give her medicine so she won’t get car sick, we have great car seat covers, and a seatbelt. We plans stops where can walk about in a safe area so she can relax and stretch, too.

We specially loved exploring Maine and Montreal this past summer because they are so dog friendly! Lots of dog friendly Airbnb’s, lots of dog friendly restaurants and breweries, even a boat your!

The perfect traveler! Much soulful eyes. Winning sweater. She looks wonderful.

Always! It’s been 35 years now traveling in a van of one sort or another -Volkswagen camper, now a sprinter, with one or two dogs. The drawbacks of missing some of the amazing parks have been far outweighed by the joy of a stop every two hours to P and explore some unknown place, secretly camping in places where no one else is, throwing a ball and watching the dog joyously catch it here in there, the endless wonderful photographs, the sheer joy has made the trips with dogs so much richer than the trips without dogs. We travel A lot for work and when we don’t have the dog with us we feel less aware of the environment, and don’t meet as many people, we get to go more places but they seem empty without a dog. Fir us As biologists, the lack of bio diversity makes a habitat seem empty to us and is the same with human experiences - they just seem empty without a non-human companion of some sort! One year we traveled with a bird as well as the dogs another year we had sugar gliders with us as we would have to move our whole household to Florida for several months to do research while we lived in the van! The enriching quality of having a dog and the increased safety made any sacrifice immensely worth it ! This is Aussie, dog number five currently exploring san diego and the california deserts with us.

What a beautiful dog ! What a character , he looks like the companion of Mad Max (The original 80’s film)

Me and my girlfriend are really hoping to get a Xoloitzcuintle pup in the future.

I can definitely imagine travelling around Brazil with one in the backseat , they are a very quiet , loyal but also kind of a bit of an aloof , fierce and primitive dog. Perfect guard / companion dog plus no problems with dog hair everywhere.

After having known many of these pooches in Mexico I really love that breed of dog, probably more than any other , fingers crossed we are able to find one for sale in the near future.

Sure we have taken our dog on a couple of short road trips. The last one was in October and we went to the beach - it was her first time. She seemed to really enjoy it. She handles the car ride quite well. Be sure to consider water as well as very hot or very cold ground for the doggy’s feet.

I’m recently divorced and had never done a long road trip completely on my own. I bought a new (used) vehicle and Lexi and I were off on a grand adventure. It was a little tough sometimes, because she wanted to sit on my lap. I got her convinced to stay on her seat by cushioning it with her familiar blankets and covering her softly. Dogs like burrows. I kept some of her favorite treats handy (but not too many b/c she’d want to be on my lap, searching for more). You have to factor in stopping at regular intervals for water and decent walks. We were driving straight through a 12 hour ride, so she learned how to sleep during the boring parts. She does have problems with other people being too close to my vehicle when we stop for gas, etc., That’s just the way she is. You have to be firm with your commands, but sensitive to their needs. Interestingly enough, southern states (I was traveling to Little Rock) LOVE dogs. She’s not a Service Animal but I was allowed to bring her with me into just about every business, including restaurants! If they have an outdoor patio, which almost all do, you will need to travel right through the areas where people are being served food. They will bring your dog water. One place even provided ice water b/c it was very hot that day! I was so grateful. I couldn’t leave her alone at my son’s house while we were sightseeing–they have two fierce cats and, frankly, she’s a momma’s girl. Good luck on your adventures!

Also worth fitting a sawn off shotgun onto one of the seats with a wire attached to a bonio toy in case of any hiccups on the journey.

Just messing around haha!