Have you ever traveled with a dog?

My fluffy buddy is a marvelous ambassador and conversation starter. Sadly, he’s not sufficiently portable to travel on planes and trains, but that does mean we have control over the frequency of pee-n-sniff stops. Fortunately for us Motel 6 has a corporate policy of no extra fee and no weight limit for dogs (we’ve had some supposedly friendly hotels suddenly institute a weight limit when we walk into the lobby).

9 Likes

A few years ago, I took a road trip across the county with my 10 year old lab mix, Obi, and it was the best trip I ever took! We had no problem finding dog friendly hotels (Red Roof Inn & Motel 6) and spent many nights camping. The only down side was that many National Parks have limits on where you can take dogs (like Yellowstone) but we were always able to find nearby State Parks or public lands where dogs are allowed on trails. This is a picture of Obi in the Bighorn Mountains. Plan a mostly outdoor trip, without expecting to spend a lot of time doing indoor “people” activities. Many restaurants with outdoor seating will allow dogs, especially in the western states. Or you can get food to go and find a nice picnic spot.

5 Likes

The little guy looks so at peace with nature!

1 Like

Bajan is good for long road trips…but look at that curious mug and mohawk…do you trust him lol

7 Likes

Into that mohawk!

2 Likes

whats sick is this is from months ago, he’s had different cuts and …its still there …still!

1 Like

Simon was adopted by my parents while they were RV’ing in AZ and he became my boy on a trip later that year. He likes to travel in cars and RV’s, but doesn’t care for hotels or other hoomans homes. Simon’s anxiety is something I work around because he’s such a sweet dog. This is from our roadtrip a few years ago. That seat is great, it allows him to see out safely but still a bit contained. Simon is a good copilot, but a terrible driver lol

6 Likes

Oh hai, Simon!

Yeah. And I have the greatest life-hack on the subject to share. Visit a psychiatrist say that you have depression and get an emotional support letter for your dog. That’s it. Now You have a pass in any hotel or on any flight for your dog. Anyway here’s a full guide www.thedogtor.net.

I’m not a fan of that. It causes issues for people with actual service animals and diminishes the struggle of people who truly fight depression and anxiety daily.

Also, the situation is reversed for me. I’m my dogs’ emotional support person :grinning:

1 Like

Late to the party, but how can I resist a dog topic?
We moved to Italy for a year and a half and took our dog Penny, so we’ve experience that whole international flying thing with a 40-lb. dog (ie, too large for the cabin) twice. And then while we were in Italy we took her on a number of trips via Trenitalia.

She looks sad here, but I promise it’s just her being relaxed.

And here she is visiting The Castello d’Este in Ferrara:

She had no problems traveling by train (or by public transit like trams and buses in Italy), and the best part was that she could go in anywhere we could, except the occasional grocery store.

6 Likes

Is Penny an Australian Shepherd dog ? she looks remarkably like one , she looks so happy in Ferrara ! haha

No, she’s an Australian Cattle Dog, aka blue heeler, aka Queensland heeler.

She was super happy - she loved Italy, it’s a great country for dogs.

1 Like

Oh right , that was the breed I was referring too but I’m not too good with dog breeds , I’m glad she enjoyed her trip she certainly looked happy :smiley:

2 Likes

Not canines but regularly go camping with 50 - 60 ferrets. 10 tend to be some of mine and the rest are from the rescue we are fund raising for. I also do transport runs by train for ferrets (and occasional rabbit and on one memorial occasion 7 week-old ducklings). In UK, you are allowed to take animals on most public transport as long as well controlled (not Eurostar though and not private buses). The worst thing on trains is the beeping. That upsets animals. By car, wear a warm woolen jumper as if you are hot, then those passengers in fur coats will be, stop every hour or so for water (can get away with longer at night), make sure they are restrained for your safety. I’d recommend a crate for camping with any animal as nightmare if get out. Where we camp, people bring dogs, horses, ravens, birds of prey, the odd diabetic rabbit or cat. The worst side of camping with animals is you need to be with them most of the time. It is too high risk to leave them vulnerable.

2 Likes

Oh hello, Penny! What a charmer.

2 Likes

I’m trying very hard to imagine camping with 60 ferrets!!

4 Likes

Do you have any pictures of this ferret camping? I imagine it is just a writhing ball of fur serpents.

4 Likes

https://photos.app.goo.gl/YiohbVCHSXATmaAd9 - it’s medieval ferret camping.

4 Likes

The humans have the tent behind. That is the ferret’s. If you zoom in, you can see they have decent travel cages. Still slumming it compared to home life but they are happy. Viking festival, Isle of Wight