Helltown, Ohio

Welcome to the Atlas Obscura Community discussion of Helltown, Ohio in Peninsula, Ohio. Ask questions or share travel tips, experiences, pictures, or general comments with the community. For the story behind this place, check out the Atlas Obscura entry:

Helltown, Ohio is/was one of those locations that gained the attention of urban explorers immediately after watching a 1996 X-Files episode called “Home.” Ohio has a lot of weird things, stories and, simply put, places you don’t visit if you’re a minority or a non-local after dark. My ex wife who was from Ohio, knowing my penchant for exploring the country side, warned me about these “Deliverance” type places where incest was practiced with vigor for generations, especially Lima, Ohio. One day, during one of my fits of young bravado, she begged me with tears in her eyes NEVER to go in that town. I listened.

I did go into Helltown though. I took pictures; it was nothing spectacular. I didn’t even find a stray orb. The buildings and bus were there. I didn’t hear a crying baby. I did see a bunch of old satanic symbols of the youth before me. Nothing or no one chased me.

Helltown, Ohio is one of those legends that lives on in the hearts of people that were alive to experience it in its full glory. A real lost treasure.

When I dropped in here, I felt ripped off for my time. I am actually glad this is on the Atlas Obscura site to deter other visitors. It is seriously not worth your time.

1 Like

So, everything about this story of this town and the creature that was killing people thats bound there is all bs? The new show that just came out is all just for show?

1 Like

Oh please. You can find these types of stories for every single state. Ohio is no different, but it’s not like Deliverance. I mean, come on, you can find a college within 15 miles of practically anywhere in the state. It’s only about 1 to 1/2 hours from each big city and many smaller cities. I have lived here most of my life, and this is just silly.

1 Like

For a more complete history of the purchase of the town as well as the actual scary story behind it that caused the public panic and mad rush of people to sell their houses, get the book “Welcome to Mutane Town” available on Amazon Kindle and Amazon Cloud. Although it is primarily a riveting, entertaining read it includes what could be found there in 1975 that can’t be found now.

1 Like

Lima is simply a drug haven unfortunately. It’s right on I-75 south of Detroit and is run by gangs. It’s full of blight and a corrupt government. Yes, there is some good folks of all types from there and an university nearby. Your ex was probably involved in some dirt there and didn’t want that exposed.

I’m near this area im a direct decedent with a cool thing…but also idk, its from the 1840s…