Help Us Decide Whether This Is a Tomato or a Pepper

food
turtle

The current hot topic in the Atlas Obscura group chat: is the fruit in the image below a tomato or a pepper? DEF PEP or HOT TOMAT?! Please vote below to help us decide.

• Pep
  • Tomat

0 voters

I wouldn’t say DEF PEP but I would say PROB PEP.

Judging from the donut hole (probably from taking the seeds out) and the overall hollowness of the thing, it’s PROB PEP. Tomatoes are usually more wholesome…

Given how sturdy the mysterious veg is in this hand, it’s definitely a PEP. Its well-constructed ridges, color, visible ‘meat’ and perfectly circular space where its steam once was are also significant clues. If it were a tomato it would look soggy and less ridged.

Google says tomato:

Computers are not advanced enough to process reliable vegetable identification. DEF PEP.

This is our “What color is the dress?” moment.

But also: TEAM PEP.

A tomato would look so much soggier/grosser.

Not to be pedantic, but both TOM and PEP are technically fruits. :stuck_out_tongue:

WE LOVE PEDANTS, you’ve come to the right place.

Oh my god, you’re right! I’ve been so blinded by the controversy that I missed that.

In favor of PEP:

• It’s quite rigid, based on the size and the position of the person’s grip.
  • The rough texture on the interior wall is similar to that of a common bell pepper.
  • The central portion that was cut out would represent a remarkably large stem for a tomato, even for an heirloom.

A quick google suggests that peppers are more readily recommended as food for tortoises:

Feeding your tortoise

Tortoises like a variety of plant-based foods, says Dr. Jaynes.

Produce : About 80% of your pet tortoise’s daily diet should be fresh vegetables like kale, dandelions and collard greens. For fun, toss in a little green or yellow bell pepper, sweet potato, squash or cauliflower. It’s good to provide powdered calcium and vitamin D3 to the salad around 3 times a week, which strengthen a tortoise’s shell.

Fruit : Apples, melon and grapes should make up no more than 20% of a tortoise’s diet. Offer your tortoise fruit every third or fourth feeding.

Other : Tortoises also like Timothy and alfalfa hay and commercial tortoise food.

-Turtle & Tortoise Food: What to Feed Your Pet | PetSmart

For sure a tomato

@lexberko Where is this tortoise from? Is it a Galapagos Island tortoise?

Correct.

I think it might be a tomato, here’s why: the amount of septum (not sure if this is the correct term)

Feel like if this was a bell pepper, there would be less of them/some would be less pronounced

Also correct.

Yet you’re too afraid to vote for it… I smell a lack of conviction.

I did vote for it