"How an Ancient Himalayan Forest Wound Up at the Bottom of the Indian Ocean" Discussion Thread

Welcome to the discussion thread for the story, How an Ancient Himalayan Forest Wound Up at the Bottom of the Indian Ocean. You can share your comments and thoughts about the story in the conversation below

1 Like

Fascinating article… but it would have been even better if a map had been included showing the Himalayas, the rivers mentioned, and the Bay of Bengal with its huge alluvial fan. I’m a geologist and familiar in only a general way with world geography, so tracking the places mentioned was something of a stretch for me and presumably even more of a stretch for readers not up to speed.

I do love maps in general and if a picture is worth a thousand words, a map is worth ten thousand (ha!)-- so, more maps on Atlas Obscura, please!

3 Likes

Are there any plans to dig for data from the Southern Alps in the ocean outside of Lyttleton and Christchurch, NZ?

Hey @rcm1 thanks for your interest in the story! I ran this by the writer of the piece her take is that the researchers are focused on understanding the system between the Himalayas and the Bay of Bengal. So there are no current plans to drill in other geographic locations. Thanks again for the interest and always feel free to send questions this way.