How do you take your tea?

Tea is one of the most popular beverages in the world. It can be taken for refreshment, as a break, or as part of a meal. Since its propagation over the ages, among others, by the ancient Chinese and the British empire, tea has been an integral part of many lives in many different cultures across continents.

Growing up, I used to add lemon or milk and sugar to my tea. After living in China, my preference has been to take it neat. It is fascinating how ceremonies develop around tea, from the use of a Chinese gaiwan or Japanese tea bowl and whisk, to an elaborate English afternoon tea.

So, how do you take your tea?

(Image from this website)

8 Likes

Chai spiced almond milk and honey simmered in a saucepan, or an iced earl grey london fog with foamed moo-less milk from my espresso wand!

7 Likes

Unadulterated for me. Darjeeling is my favorite, although I also like mugicha, or toasted barley tea, both hot and cold.

5 Likes

I’m more of a coffee person really , but if I drink tea I prefer it just as I drink my coffee , black with no milk or sugar, or green tea for the pleasant buzz it gives. I like to sit outside when I drink tea or coffee too so I can smoke a roll up cigarette , haha :stuck_out_tongue:

8 Likes

Truth be told, I’ll have coffee and espresso every day, and tea only occasionally. I get free java at work, after all!

4 Likes

Love this topic. I’m also more of a coffee guy, and I usually drink my tea straight, although I love a chai made with real milk when I’m feeling fancy.

5 Likes

For me it’s black coffee in the morning and black tea in the afternoon. Work may provide free coffee, but I fill my own tea bags of loose tea from home so I can enjoy the tea from my travels (Fortnum and Mason and Kusmi Tea are some of my favorites).

5 Likes

Growing up I used to take it with milk and sugar like my father and grandmother did. Now as an adult I prefer lemon. I would like to add that growing up whenever I was sick my grandmother always said that tea and toast would make me feel better. It took a long time for me to get over only drinking tea when I was sick.

5 Likes

Brewed in a teapot, preferably Tetley teabags (at least 3 per pot), really hot, served with skimmed milk (tea before milk, of course) is my personal preference. ‘Milky Strong’ is the way I heard a Yorkshire fella put it once… :smile:

If I’m feeling fancy and going for loose leaf tea, it’ll be some kind of English Breakfast, Earl Grey or other black tea. I like infusions and herbal teas but I’ll always naturally err towards tea with milk unless it’s really creamy. (That makes me gag.) Needs must when I’m on the road but if I can get my tea ‘my way’ then bonus. As for my family, there’s an innate understanding of how everyone likes their tea and the (very frequent) brews generally go quite smoothly.

In conclusion, British people - especially Northern Brits, it seems to me - are very particular about their cuppa… :smile:

3 Likes

I can only drink tea when I’m sick. Cofffee, on the other hand, is another story. I can be quite the coffee snob lol.

4 Likes

I drink a lot of tea. Black tea, nothing fancy, in the morning, usually Red Rose brand. First cup, I like a lot of lemon; after that, no lemon. Sweetened. In the late afternoon or evening, I like either black tea or mint tea or spice tea or vanilla or cinnamon or Earl Grey. I absolutely cannot drink coffee or even be around coffee because of the smell. A very bad memory is the day I had an IT job interview inside a Starbucks.

5 Likes

Free Java ?? !! Now that has got to be considered a perk of any job :smiley: I literally just had my morning coffee a couple of minutes ago :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

Good morning then! I don’t usually get my first “morning” cup until 3pm EST with my odd hours :joy:

4 Likes

As I’m from Memphis, I’ve got a big pitcher of black tea in the refrigerator right now – and a large glass, with ice, beside me. Here’s the kicker: it’s Builder’s Tea from England, which I have to buy online, but it makes the best ice tea I’ve ever had. I’ll be drinking ice tea until probably the end of October, when it finally cools down out here, and then I’ll start drinking hot tea (Empress Grey, mostly), sometimes with half & half and sugar, sometimes straight. I was brought up on ice tea with lemon and sugar, but I learned pretty early that tea tastes delicious with nothing added.

6 Likes

Although Panama produces the best coffee in the world, I didnt start drinking the stuff until I was 25 and in Mexico.

Growing up my tea was almost always black tea, iced, with lemon. Hot tea started happening when I was in cold climates.

I prefer my coffee cold too. Iced lattes are awesome!

4 Likes

I was so heartbroken when Red Rose :rose:quit putting the little pottery animals in the boxes! It was something I always looked forward to seeing and going on line just isn’t the same.:disappointed:

3 Likes

Coffee with cream in the morning. Iced Earl Grey Green with a little sparkling lemonade (for sweetening) to sip on for the rest of the day.

4 Likes

Until you mentioned it, I hadn’t even noticed Red Rose isn’t putting the little figurines in the boxes of tea any more. I’m sure they had them a year or so ago; I remember the Americana series and I think they had a transportation series. They were so cute.

2 Likes

Im a tea girl, coffee too.
I make a black & green brew for iced tea and use glass bottles to go. Its brewed from stove heated water, not sun heated.
I have a water cooler/heater for my green tea when Im feeling punkish, my peppermint tea when my stomach is upset, chai when Im cozy by the fire. I enjoy Oolong with meals. Darjeeling or an English Breakfast or Lady Earl Grey when the mood strikes.
I am emphatically NOT a chamomile fan.
What do you like to snack with your teas? I like lemon cookies, the almond cookies or a good animal cookie. :slight_smile:
Btw - Im in charge of the coffee / tea club at work. The general fave is strong coffee, but others enjoy the teas.

4 Likes

I never knew they had. Makes me wonder what the looked like. Web search time!

1 Like