"How to Help Librarians and Archivists From Your Living Room" Discussion Thread

Welcome to the discussion thread for the story, How to Help Librarians and Archivists From Your Living Room. You can share your comments and thoughts about the story in the conversation below.

3 Likes

The Library of Virginia has a number of transcription opportunities on their online portal, Virginia Memory. They have digitized original documents as well as newspapers that volunteers can chose from.

4 Likes

Hi, I would like to help with decipher documents. There any libraries need assist and I am willing to volunteer.

1 Like

Hi guys!

I worked as a librarian so if you need any help you can count on me!

Have a nice day

1 Like

Zooniverse.org has projects of similar academic value of a wide variety of topics

1 Like

https://www.nationalww2museum.org/
Offering a compelling blend of sweeping narrative and poignant personal detail, The National WWII Museum features immersive exhibits, multimedia experiences, and an expansive collection of artifacts and first-person oral histories, taking visitors inside the story of the war that changed the world . Beyond the galleries, the Museum’s online collections, virtual field trips, webinars, educational travel programs, and renowned International Conference on World War II offer patrons new ways to connect to history and honor the generation that sacrificed so much to secure our freedom. Shout out to Tom Czekanski, Senior Curator and Restoration Manager!

2 Likes

How can I join you ? I am French, retired French teacher living in Paris (France) and would be happy to help if possible.

Marguerite Czarnecki
maczarnecki@hotmail.com

1 Like

The New England Historic Genealogical Society has many opportunities for remote volunteering! We have a variety of projects for which volunteers help us index historic documents and make them available on our website, americanancestors.org.
We’re working to digitize the sacramental records of the Archdiocese of Boston. Do you read Portuguese, Polish, Lithuanian, French, or Italian? We would love your help with the records of some of these parishes. We also have opportunities to work on this project for people without a specific language specialty.
We’re also working on high school records from Portsmouth, NH, records of the Hebrew Immigrant Aid Society, early bank records from the Provident Institute of Savings in Boston, and indexing our own scholarly genealogical journal, the New England Historical and Genealogical Register.
Let us know if you are interested in any of these projects. Email Rachel Adams, our Database Services Volunteer Coordinator (rachel.adams@nehgs.org) to learn more.

1 Like

The Papers of the War Department (Papers of the War Department · Home · Papers of the War Department) is another community transcription project, if anyone is interested in helping. The documents are all from the late 18th century and sometimes the handwriting is a mess.

2 Likes

The Maryland State Archives has a large collection of marriage certificates to be transcribed. The transcripts will be used to create a digital index to allow easier searching. You can join the project at FromThePage.com. Accounts are free to everyone and we would love help from the community!

Thanks,

James Watson
Maryland State Archives

2 Likes

Here’s a fun one for sailing fans. Help transcribe weather observations from old ship logs.
https://www.oldweather.org/

1 Like

I am a librarian at the Center for Astrophysics | Harvard & Smithsonian. We have a project up on the Zooniverse right now called Star Notes. If you are interested in how the Harvard Computers classified the night sky and made important discoveries, here is your chance to interact with their actual notebooks! You can help even if you have no prior knowledge of astronomy. We greatly appreciate any contributions to the project.

2 Likes

Historic Ford’s Theatre in Washington, D.C. also has a transcription project! We are looking for volunteers to help transcribe and add primary sources to our “Remembering Lincoln” site.

“Remembering Lincoln” is an online exhibition of personal reactions to the assassination of Abraham Lincoln from the time period. The digital collection currently includes more than 850 primary sources drawn from more than 40 libraries, archives, museums and private collections.

More information about how to help is available here: Digital History Activity: Historical Document Transcription and Research for Remembering Lincoln | Fords Theatre

1 Like

The New York Botanical Garden Herbarium contains one of the largest collections of botanical specimens in the world! This archive of over 7 million pressed flowers and preserved tissues documents an untold history of the world’s plants, algae, and fungi, stretching back over 200 years!

Today, online participants can join NYBG’s Virtual Herbarium Expeditions and help researchers seeking to study and conserve biodiversity by recording important details about the historic and geographic origin of each unique collection. To learn more and become involved, check out our our Zooniverse Project: Notes from Nature - NYBG.

2 Likes

These are some awesome projects everyone! Thanks a bunch for sharing!

The Alabama Department of Archives and History invites you to join its transcription project at fromthepage.com/adah. Current projects include manuscript collections created by Alabama women.

1 Like