Incredible Castles

Sammezzano Castle is easily on my bucket list. Closed now. But still up for sale if anyone has a few million lying around.

5 Likes

This is one of my favorites too. I went last year and there wasn’t much tourism as it is off the classical transivanian route wich includes Pelles and Bran castles.

This is super cool! Thanks for sharing it.

You’re absolutelly right, Tomar is really beautiful!

Good call! I enjoyed Carcassone even in high season. There are several castle ruins in the area, one can rent a bike and go to several of them using Carcassone as a base. It is also really nice to cycle along the Canal du Medi too.

New York City has a beautiful castle, smack dab in the middle of Central Park! Belvedere Castle has delighted millions of visitors and natives alike! The two towers in the background are not part of the castle but the beautiful spires of a Central Park West apartment building…think Ghostbusters.

2 Likes

image This is my local ‘castle’. It is named Craigdarroch Castle and is in Victoria, BC, Canada. It was built between 1887 and 1890, by Robert Dunsmuir and more home than castle. But, as they say, a man’s home is his castle. Mr Dunsmuir left Scotland and came to Canada but could only convince his wife to come by saying that he’d build her a castle one day. He became wealthy through coal mining and built this home for her. He died before it was completed, but she lived here for twenty years.

1 Like

It must be a sight to see living where history has taken place. Where I live on Long Island, NY it is strip malls upon strip malls which dot or dare I say invade our landscape. All similar in design and yes, many include Starbucks as well as other famous chains. I have been to England and when I was there, I was in awe at the historical buildings and castles one can visit and touch. You truly felt you were going back in time.

1 Like

It really is, I love cycling along roads and just stumbling across castles I never even knew existed like this one I found last weekend

Although I must say I would like a cinema closer than an hour away

2 Likes

I truly love this photo you took. One can use their imagination of whom lived there and at what time period they did. This sole castle stands out as a reminder that we have a history which goes back so many years. It’s an ominous photo, especially with the darkened skies behind it. Thank you for taking the photo and sharing it with the rest of us.

1 Like

I agree - it felt like walking into a Disney movie - but reality intrudes, and is a bit odder. The best tip I got was that you can walk up through the forest rather than taking a bus/cab up to the front gate. Parked the car at a parking area down near the bottom of the hill - there are quite a few walking paths. Way nicer, even in a November drizzle. Stayed in a little hotel in Fussen (nearby) that was 18th century or earlier, which felt like a fairy tale.

Some of Sønderborg slot from other perspectives.

Looking into the courtyard from the gateway

View of the front from the old mote

Backside of the castle that faces away from Sønderborg and the one remaining tower can be seen.

1 Like

I agree with “ollieclark96” that Wales has a lot of great castles, but Burg Eltz in Germany is still inhabited and is also definitely worthy of a visit.

3 Likes

Absolutely, Wales is castle country! I have been lucky enough to visit all four of these - hard to pick a favorite! Maybe Conwy because the town has other attractions such as the city walls and Plas Mawr, a home dating from Elizabethan times. Plus, they let you roam the walls of these formidable fortresses.

1 Like

I’ve read all these posts with interest and note that neither Colditz, Burg Visschering, Sigmaringen or the fabulous Burg Eltz are mentioned!

This one is the complete fairy story castle - it has been in the same family for 33 generations. Hohenzollern taken from the car Burg Visschering!
1461185_10202080778332801_1298401115_n_10202080778332801|375x500
Colditz - the way Airey Neave left!!

5 Likes

And I found a photo of the entrance to Sigmaringen

2 Likes

33 generations in the same family !. Like Colditz you sort of creep up on the place without seeing it until BAM it’s in your face!

1 Like

I love this castle, we have a friend who lives in Dorney, the village where this is located. I grew up in Paisley Scotland but moved to the US many years ago. We usually go to Dorney when we visit. The castle is occupied by a family who restored it but you can visit and tour it.

2 Likes

This was the first castle I ever visited in Europe, the tour lived up to all expectations. Ended up visiting others in ruins, larger castles as well as more modernized castles but this one I’d still recommend if you are traveling nearby. Loved the dinning hall with eyes and ears in the wall! You can explore almost everything except for the private residence area upstairs.

2 Likes