Incredible Castles

The Hiroshima Castle is not the grandest, but has an interesting history because it was destroyed by the first atomic bomb ever used in a war.
The castle was built in the late 1500’s during Japan’s feudal period.
It was declared a national treasure in 1930.
It was destroyed by the atomic bomb in 1945 which detonated about 1,000 meters away. At that time it also functioned as a military headquarter.
It was rebuilt in 1958. There are five stories, the top with quite wonderful views of surrounding Hiroshima. The other stories serve as a museum with interesting artifacts. There is a samurai sword which visitor can lift to feel the weight and get a sense of what it might be like to fight with one.
Picture is view from outside the moat, where there is a curious plaza with a European style sculpture.

5 Likes

Went here last year. It is a stunning place.

3 Likes

I had fun exploring the castle in Carcassonne, France, by myself. It was off-season (winter) and a misty morning. I went out first thing and had a lovely ramble by myself. It’s a large castle with some tourist shops inside, took a good while to explore on foot.

10 Likes

I always remember this place - spent some time growing up in US and there was this wonderful place on the edge of Lexington, Kentucky. Story I was told at time was it had been built by rich couple, they’d divorced before it was finished and it was then used as a pig farm. Glad to see it has been repurposed into a fancy venue for weddings and special events. https://images.app.goo.gl/AJSaQwGu2dG87XT38 Just really to add that castles come in some really strange places.

2 Likes

Its been said that Queen Mary planted the Yew trees that are growing over the gentleman’s head. Yew tree were known to contain medical, as well as mystical properties. looks as if you were blessed with a rare day of glorious sunshine.

2 Likes

If I had two castles/palaces to go to before I move into my own palace in the sky, it would definitely be both Neuschwanstein Castle and Seville Alcazar, Seville, Andalusia, Spain. I love the Moorish interior, and I’m sure there are other castles/palaces out there that might come close to these. If there are, I’m sure I am doing them injustice by forgetting them.

3 Likes

Sintra… my mystical home town :black_heart: :crescent_moon:

1 Like

One of my faves is Corvin Castle (Hunedoara) Castle in Transylvania - Romania. One reason is when i visited around 10 years ago no one was there and i was able to roam around the castle with no people in sight.

Uploading: FIX_1059.jpg… Uploading: FIX_1076.jpg… Uploading: FIX_1122.jpg… Uploading: FIX_1127.jpg… Uploading: FIX_1135.jpg… Uploading: FIX_1137.jpg… Uploading: FIX_1141.jpg… Uploading: FIX_1157.jpg…

9 Likes

Tough choice, where I’m from we have more castles than we have Starbucks which would disappoint Daenerys. Have to give a shout out to the castles of Edward I, four incredible castles all within an hour of each other and considered the finest examples of medieval architecture

Harlech

Conwy
Caernarfon

Beaumaris

5 Likes

Its not my favourite castle of all time , but I’m quite fond of it as its my local castle and is about 15 minutes walk from where I live

5 Likes

All great choices. Been to Pena in Portugal and to many castles in England, Scotland, and France. All fascinating. All different.

I realize this may not count as a castle in the strict sense, so apologies beforehand, but my favorite and one of the most out of the way “pile of rocks” I have had the chance to visit is “The Great Zimbabwe”.

The so called “Great Enclosure” is very interesting but it’s the hill complex beside it that is the most fascinating. It’s certainly not a castle in the strict sense of carefully piling worked stone on worked stone. It’s more like they moved and rearranged, with some working of the stone, the jumble of rocks on top of the hill into effectively a “castle” with rooms and courtyards, etc. It’s very organic. Very Frank Lloyd Wright in that way since it seems to grow out of the hilltop.

If I had to pick one in Scotland it would be Castle Urquhart on the shore of Loch Ness.

4 Likes

This thread has me on a google binge! So cool! I’ll share tiny Henderson Castle in tiny Kalamazoo MI. It’s not a castle in the sense that it was a military stronghold and it’s not sprawling or grand in the traditional sense. What I love about it is that it was lovingly built for Mr. Henderson’s wife and that it has become a beautiful and quirky part of the community. They’ve partnered with us for some events and host things like haunted dinners and illusionist shows. Very fun.

2 Likes

My favorite (only found because we were looking at AO during our trip) is Hammond Castle just a short trip east from Boston and Salem and dramatically overlooking the Atlantic Ocean. Though created from buildings shipped across the ocean it really was combined with excellent execution IMO.

OMG! No one has posted Castle Gwyn outside of Nashville?! I will have to remedy this very soon! image
Story of Castle Gwynn is a Labor of Love

I’m looking forward to seeing some of the above castles next month touring the North Coast 500 leaving north out of Glasgow. Dunrobin is on our way back around. Thanks for mentioning Craigmillar, Linlithgow and Urguhart if time allows we will try to visit those. Eilean Donan on the little island looks promising :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Poland is full of castles, and one can canoe or cycle along the Trail of the Eagles’ Nest. Some of the castles are ruins, but some offer reasonable hotel and hostle rates. poland.Trail of the Eagles’ Nests.
My favorite one is Zamek Korzkiew, just outside of Krakow. https://donimirski.com/zamek-korzkiew/en/home_en/

2 Likes

By the way the view out from round stairwells in Portugal’s Pena National Palace on the other side of the palace pictured above.

4 Likes

Not sure what my favourite castle would be but this is the courtyard of the one I have probably visited the most.
Sønderborg Slot (castle) in Sønderjylland (Southern Jutland ) on the Island of Als.

2 Likes

We’ve got quite a few castles in Germany,
but I think, the most beautiful is Peles Castle, Romania.

9 Likes

Well, Lichtenstein is not bad…

11 Likes

newest item on my bucket list: canoe the polish castle trail :smiley:

1 Like

One of the top three highlights of my month long trip to Japan last year was visiting Himeji Castle, which is also actually the first castle I’ve really ever been to. It is absolutely stunning with its bright white exterior; and it’s incredible how much it has survived, including earthquakes and even being bombed in World War 2 – a bomb was even dropped right on top of the castle but failed to go off! When I made plans to visit, I knew the castle would be gorgeous, but I didn’t expect how fun it would be to be able to explore inside the castle walls. As someone who isn’t very well versed in castle related stuff, I found it fascinating.
I would love to go again in cherry blossom season…

Plus the castle has an adorable mascot, Shiromaru-hime, who is plastered all over the city. I love her.

7 Likes