Incredible One-of-a-Kind Trees

In 2019, the Almond Tree of the Snowy Hill in Pécs, a 135-year-old almond tree standing in front of Hungary’s Church of Our Lady of the Snow, earned the always-delightful title of European Tree of the Year. Looking like something out of Lord of the Rings, the tree was described as “a symbol of eternal renewal and education.” As great a this tree is, there are singular, one-of-a-kind trees all over the globe that also deserve to be celebrated. So whether it’s a remarkably old pine tree, a baobab so big that there’s a bar inside its trunk, or a sycamore grown from seeds that have been to the moon, let’s talk about our favorite iconic arbors!

(Image: muffinn/CC BY 2.0)

Tell us about your favorite iconoclastic tree, where it’s located, and what makes it so special. Your response might be included in a round-up article on Atlas Obscura. Sure nature is amazing, but some trees are definitely cooler than others.

8 Likes

This old cottonwood tree is located at Ferd B. Lang Park in Arnold, Missouri. It was a sapling at the time of Lewis and Clark! Love this tree!

10 Likes

Iconoclastic? Or iconic?

2 Likes

Good point, iconic works better.

The Ceiba tree is the national tree of Guatemala and the Mayan tree of life! There’s a 5’10" man at the base of the tree!

13 Likes

Lahaina, Maui banyan tree. http://lahainarestoration.org/lahaina-banyan-tree/

1 Like

Something similar to Lahaina that I enjoy: The Angel Oak

4 Likes

The Kam Tin Treehouse in Hong Kong
Hong Kong has some truly spectacular trees! I visited this one in Kam Tin in the New Territories, an area home to historic walled villages. The tree appears to have swallowed up an old house!

16 Likes

The Old Senator! It resides in St. Augustine, FL, in the Ho-Jo motel parking lot. The sign reads:
“This magnificent LIVE OAK is one of the most remarkable trees in North America, reputed to be well over 600 years old, and thus surviving as silent witness to that dramatic moment in 1513 when Juan Ponce de Leon finally discovered St. Augustine’s famed Fountain of Youth, a mere 600 feet from this very spot.”
I dunno about youth, but you can hit a sulfurous-smelling tourist trap just down the block!

12 Likes

I like trees that tell incredible stories, not neccessariliy extraordinary old or huge ones. Like this one, which is a true cyborg:

10 Likes

Anything that grows on Socotra

![Socotra-%20Homhil_0818|690x462](upload:// 14etUYY9EFnCHQ9p1eALAy4HOdK.jpeg)

22 Likes

I would say the Lonely tree in Llyn Padarn but it’s becoming almost as well known as the Wanaka tree. Instead I’ll post a picture of my favourite tree, it’s not famous or particularly special, it’s just a scruffy little pine growing on the side of Moel Hebog in Snowdonia, which I always make sure to visit if I’m hiking nearby

14 Likes

That is one majestic looking oak , it looks a lot less gnarly and “evil dead” looking than the oaks we get here in Europe.

3 Likes

I love it ! Do you know what species it is ? I think it sort of looks kind of strangler figgy but I’m not so good when it comes to tree identification

4 Likes

Yes! This looks so cool! Thank you for sharing the pics!

2 Likes

Holy crap. This looks like Dr. Seuss come to life.

4 Likes

I love trees with names.

3 Likes

Yes you’re right! I think it is an awesome example of a banyan tree!

2 Likes

Those are utterly surreal. And more power to that tree that housed the house (groan all you want). I love seeing any tree that’s grown through or around something man made.

1 Like

The wonderful Royal Gardens at Kew in London feature trees brought from around the world and planted in 18th and 19th centuries, and have been growing and lovingly tended for hundreds of years !

8 Likes