Incredible One-of-a-Kind Trees

show-and-tell
trees

This would be my favorite of all the ones posted thus far.

1 Like

There is a Davidia [“Handkerchief Tree”] near Guildford, Surrey – a purple bloomed one! Hopefully someone out there has pics! Lost mine. ;-(

2 Likes

If you are as giddy about this thread as I am, definitely check out Beth Moon’s glorious book, Ancient Trees: Portraits of Time, which has stunning photos of lots of the trees mentioned here, and lots of other legendary beauties.

3 Likes

That is an amazing tree, I am dying to get to Oregon to see the wilderness

I’m not sure this technically fits the prompt, but one of the most memorable tree-like plants I’ve encountered in my travels was the purported Burning Bush at Saint Catherine’s Monastery in Egypt.

The guide claimed that they haven’t been able to find its genetic match anywhere :thinking:

Here’s a photo of it I took in 2008. Hasn’t been burning for a while but you could imagine it…
burning%20bush

1 Like

Recently on the Island of Hawaii my friends and I were driving down the street and passed a large cemetery. I was struck by this huge single tree overlooking it. I work at GoPro so I told my friends I had to get some shots for… work. This is the monkey pod tree at Alae Cemetery in Hilo Hawaii. (Added one more taken by " macprohawaii so you can see it with the leaves).

8 Likes

The Old Senator is a fantastic choice - I feel like the great old trees here in the Southeast have such a distinct feel; Spanish moss-bearded branches grown so massive that they lie on the ground. There is another such tree at Lichgate on High Road in Tallahassee. And the Tree of Life in New Orleans is yet another.

1 Like

The Octopus Tree looks like a tree that was coppiced in the past. I wonder if the indigenous people used it as a source for sturdy, straight poles. I am no expert, but I believe spruce is a relatively fast grower.

This tree, in Central Park here in Louisville, KY, is one of my favorites.

1 Like

1 Like

The Tea Cup Tree on the Nullarbor Plain in Western Australia… On a treeless expanse in the middle of nowhere (West of Eucla), travellers stop to add their own foliage…! My daughter and I added our own cups in January as we drove from Sydney back to Perth.

5 Likes

One of my favorites is what I’ve named the Big Old Tree in the woods at Birge Pond in Bristol CT. It’s dead, and has been for a long time but it’s left a wonderful sturdy corpse which stands majestically by the trail.It has provided me with dozens of wonderful photos (like this one)

1 Like

Another is the Candelabra Tree in Shade Swamp Sanctuary (NOT the ‘Blue Trail’). It’s far back in the woods but has a wonderful shape and, if you look closely near the base, the pattern of the bark makes a face, like a watcher in the woods.

2 Likes

That third picture there is really visually striking - a living protective dome over the graves.

What exquisite work and inspiration behind it. Amazing how complex yet familiar that organic pattern on the tree seems - it makes me think immediately of brain coral and finger prints.

The town of Sevenoaks, Kent, UK has a bit of a story surrounding one oak tree…
“As recently as 1902, seven oaks were planted around the Vine cricket ground (which dates back to 1773 and is the first place in England where a game of cricket was played with three stumps instead of two). These seem to be replacements – contemporary paintings and photography from 1900 depict ‘The Seven Oaks’ at the same location. After the Great Storm of 1987, all but one of the 1902 trees were uprooted. The six felled trees were replaced, but after vandalism and more replanting, there are now – rather confusingly – nine oaks on the site.”

…one of those nine oaks in Sevenoaks was for a while referred to as Oneoak*, after the storm of '87 blew the rest down; I have no idea which one it is.

*It probably was never called that. I got the story from a London shop girl who lived in the United States and used to love teaching Americans phony British slang. I wouldn’t know a thing about Sevenoaks without her silly story, though, so I’m going to keep it going.

1 Like

This is so cool!

If you’re in or near Asheville NC and in need of a tree fix, you can take a short drive west to Joyce Kilmer Memorial Forest. It’s one of the few remaining stands of virgin forest in Appalachia and the home of some fairly girthy hardwoods.

Kilmer’s story is worth reading, too. One of the nation’s leading poets at the time, Kilmer volunteered for the army and was killed in action during WWI.

Trees

I think that I shall never see
A poem lovely as a tree.

A tree whose hungry mouth is prest
Against the earth’s sweet flowing breast;

A tree that looks at God all day,
And lifts her leafy arms to pray;

A tree that may in Summer wear
A nest of robins in her hair;

Upon whose bosom snow has lain;
Who intimately lives with rain.

Poems are made by fools like me,
But only God can make a tree.

— Joyce Kilmer, February 2, 1913

3 Likes

I memorised that poem when I was in elementary school, I :heartbeat: it so much.

2 Likes

“Herbie” was (sadly, Herbie is gone now) New England’s largest and oldest American Elm. After 217 years and 15 attacks of Dutch Elm Disease, Herbie was removed and repurposed in 2010. Wood from Herbie was used to make the casket of its longtime caretaker, who passed 2 years after Herbie.
I found Herbie when I went to visit the DeLorme Map Company in Yarmouth, Maine in 1999 (DeLorme is also gone now.) Their paper map of the area had a mysterious Point Of Interest on it that just said “Herbie” right there in Yarmouth. So we went over and took a look.

1 Like