"Inside One Distillery’s Pivot to Hand Sanitizer" Discussion Thread

Welcome to the discussion thread for the story, Inside One Distillery’s Pivot to Hand Sanitizer. You can share your comments and thoughts about the story in the conversation below.

Great piece. Lots of distilleries are pivoting to this including Heaven Hill Brands – based in Bardstown, Kentucky. This is the nation’s largest independent, family-owned and operated spirits producer and marketer and the world’s second-largest holder of Kentucky Bourbon. Heaven Hill’s diversified portfolio of brands includes Evan Williams, Elijah Craig, Larceny, and Henry McKenna Bourbons; Rittenhouse Rye Whisky; Deep Eddy and Burnett’s Vodkas; Admiral Nelson’s and Blackheart Rums; Black Velvet Canadian Whisky; Lunazul Tequila; The Christian Brothers Brandies; HPNOTIQ Liqueur; Carolans Irish Cream Liqueur; PAMA Pomegranate Liqueur; Domaine de Canton Ginger Liqueur. Production has already begun in three different locations.

1 Like

Wondering how difficult it would be for the distilleries making vodka with whey to convert,

No mention of what they are using as the government approved denaturant for the ethanol.
No way do they run a distillery and not know about this.
Also what is the function of each named ingredient ?
I thought 60% alcohol-120 proof -in water was all it took to sanitize.

Petoria Brewery in Albany Ga (rural hot spot, highest per capita Covid19 area in the country) is also making hand sanitizer as quickly as they can produce the product. In the midst of this unseen terror, everyone is beyond thankful for their efforts to combat this destructive force ravaging our community.

1 Like

Koenig Distillery in southwest Idaho has been making sanitizer as well from its production of potato vodka. Their first batch made 450 gallons of hand sanitizer, using the WHO recipe. It was donated to local hospitals for use by health care providers and front line staff.

1 Like

Cool article! Just went to Dirty Water’s website. They have a section where people can donate $ to the sanitizer cause. Maybe add this to the article?
I live in Colorado and will look up who’s making hand sanitizer here and see if I can donate to them.
Stay safe and healthy everyone! :blush: