Inside the Capitol Dome

Welcome to the Atlas Obscura Community discussion of Inside the Capitol Dome in Washington, D.C… Ask questions or share travel tips, experiences, pictures, or general comments with the community. For the story behind this place, check out the Atlas Obscura entry:

The entire area of monuments and government buildings in Washington, D.C. is worth the trip and you should stay for several days in order to visit many of them. The Capital Dome is awe-inspiring. It makes one feel rather small. I was unable to go up inside the dome; I don’t believe it is open to the public. While you’re in town, don’t miss the Lincoln Memorial, Jefferson Memorial, Vietnam War memorial, WW2 memorial, Arlington Cemetery, Monticello, the Washington Monument, the Smithsonian museums, Holocaust Museum and other museums and memorials. Many of the places are enjoyable for children, depending on their ages, but some places they would be bored stiff, so choose wisely. For transportation, the Metro gets you to many of the places but there is still a lot of walking involved. Have fun!

2 Likes

we went for a high school trip and it was so wild; like i could never imagine all the behind the scenes of just a dome