Introducing the Gastro Obscura New Flavors Club!

Uh, this looks awesome, and I think I just picked up a new hobby. Gonna try this this weekend!
I just did a Google search, and one of the first things that came up is an article in my local newspaper about it. There’s a quote “When you’re making it, the more it stinks, the better it’s going to be.” :dizzy_face::laughing: Would you say this is true?

1 Like

While in St Martin last week, I encountered Johnny Cakes for the first time. At our excursion to the lolos on the French side was where I had ordered these treats. Expecting more of a sweet pancake type food, I was fairly surprised to see a flat disc of fried dough. Johnny cakes seem to mean a variety of different dough based foods, but at least in St Martin/St Maarten and perhaps on other Caribbean islands, it is almost like a fried biscuit. The cakes themselves do not seem to have much seasoning beyond salt, much better as a vehicle for sopping up all the last bits of curry or oxtail stew.

2 Likes

While not a new bread for me directly because of this but apon moving to Denmark I was introduced to rugbrød (rye bread) a dark sourdough bread made with rye flour and rye grains.

3 Likes

Lately I’ve been experiencing the Baader-Meinhof phenomenon with Acharuli Kachapuri bread.

I keep seeing recipes of this bread popping up in YouTube, Reddit, and my RSS Feed for various cooking/recipe sites. I think the Power That Be is telling me that I need to try to make this.

1 Like

Super late to this game, but when I first saw this thread three months ago I was inspired to try khachapuri, and just finally got around to it today. Everyone loved it (I mean, what’s not to love?). I used an Armenian string cheese that I found at Whole Foods…close enough for a first stab, the shared geographic border tells me. Catching up on the challenges now…

2 Likes

Never too late! That looks ridiculously delicious!