"Invasive Catfish Are Rewriting Chesapeake Bay Cuisine" Discussion Thread

Welcome to the discussion thread for the story, Invasive Catfish Are Rewriting Chesapeake Bay Cuisine. You can share your comments and thoughts about the story in the conversation below.

The fish story of the river in Newark, NJ, is more interesting because it involves race, history, military, and politics. Agent Orange did affect our soldiers in Vietnam to the point of sterilization, cancer, and other ills, although many Ameri-Asian babies were fathered and left there. The gov’t. knows this, so why hasn’t the river been cleaned up of the chemical that was dumped in it. Since the current administration has not been friendly to Latino immigrants, of course, the fish swap program has been scuttled. But closed down in favor of what? And, definitely, if lead is in the water, it affects the children. Flint, MI proved that fact.

Is this species available for retail? Or is it a ‘secret’ for the restaurant business\ I would gladly buy it, even though I don’t like the catfish typically sold at my supermarkets. A program to educate the public about these fish and other invasives would seem like a good way to get rid of the invading species, to provide an opportunity for fishermen, and to provide a protein source that doesn’t involve environmental damage like pork, beef and poultry (not too mention the humane aspects of producing them)

Catfish is nearly always available in the local supermarkets where I live in Eastern Wisconsin, so I’ve eaten my share during my life. But if humans won’t eat these invasive catfish in sufficient numbers to significantly decrease their population, perhaps the pet food industry could get involved.

Catfish you get from the supermarket are typically farmed, not wild caught. The blue catfish is not farmed (farming an invasive species is probably not the best idea), so not widely available. It probably won’t be showing up in stores anywhere far from where it lives.