Is it safe to travel to chernobyl?

hi i was planning to go to a trip in ukraine for 4 days or so. im interested in going to chernobyl as part of the trip, and i also saw some tour packaages/day trip to chernobyl. is it safe to go there? as per the radioactive remnants are concerned. thank you =)

Yes, as long as you follow the guides instructions and don’t go wandering off on your own into restricted areas. I was there in 2016 and haven’t grown any extra limbs yet. I used SoloEast Travel and had a great experience.

Reiterating what mnml said, travel to Chernobyl is very much safe. We’ve run a number of trips there led by an experienced set of guides. The outer area, the 30km Zone, acts as more of a buffer space between the contaminated land and the rest of Ukraine. This area is more or less fine—people live there full-time, they grow crops, raise livestock, and so on. Radiation levels in the 30km Zone are lower than the standard background radiation in a typical developed city. The largest dose of radiation our travelers usually get is from their trans-Atlantic flights.

Most important, as always, is following the site’s regulations. Chernobyl’s security team are really thorough, and last year alone they safely catered to 60,000 visitors.

1 Like

It’s safe. No tour guide will take you to the place with high radiation levels and if you want to visit it without a tour guide, it’ll be hard to get around. And before leaving the zone you’ll have to go through decontamination procedure. And in the majority of places there the levels of radiation are slightly higher than the norm. Actually there are motels in Prypyat (people are living there, those who are taking care of the old plant) and some are even spending the night in a tent, and so far I haven’t heard of people getting a fatal radiation exposure there. But anyways, we decided not to stay over night there, returned to Kyiv, stayed in PHNR (https://www.phnr.com/en) and went to catch our plane. It was an interesting trip

1 Like

Hello there! I’ll also chime in to say that if you need recommendations on tour guides to Chernobyl or things to do in Ukraine, please let us know!

Yes, just follow the guidelines