La Manuela Hacienda Ruins

Welcome to the Atlas Obscura Community discussion of La Manuela Hacienda Ruins in Guatape, Colombia. Ask questions or share travel tips, experiences, pictures, or general comments with the community. For the story behind this place, check out the Atlas Obscura entry:

I hired a mountain bike in nearby Guatape to visit both El Penol and La Manuela Hacienda ruins. Locating the latter proved challenging once off the main road. With the help of Google maps and a local near my destination to confirm my location (few of the villas have signs), I eventually reached La Manuela Hacienda . . . only to find chained gates, a barking dog from a nearby property and no restaurant at the entrance. A sign indicated the site was private with no entry. It would have been difficult to scale the gates or climb over barbed wire next to them. So there we have it . . . the caretaker is no longer there and the paint-balling activity has ceased. The consolation was the superb views of the surrounding landscape enroute. Date of visit: 17 January 2020.