Laeken Cemetery Crypt

Welcome to the Atlas Obscura Community discussion of Laeken Cemetery Crypt in Brussels, Belgium. Ask questions or share travel tips, experiences, pictures, or general comments with the community. For the story behind this place, check out the Atlas Obscura entry:

A coffin contains a corpse and is usually buried or cremated. A casket is an ornamented box and is not buried or cremated. A casket is usually defined for jewelry storage.

I’m sure you are correct, but I’ve worked at a cemetery for 14 years & we are strongly discouraged from using the word “coffin” - it is always “casket”, at least in my corner of the world.

I had to look it up. That shows you how much I knew. I never heard anybody call a jewelry box a casket, but that’s what the dictionary says.

The difference between a coffin and a casket is the shape; the coffin being the old fashion diamond shape with (usually) a fully removable lid whilst a casket is rectangular with a hinged lid. Coffins nowadays are sometimes rectangular but they are always much plainer. Caskets tend to be more elaborate with fancy handles, detailed mouldings, etc.
You definitely can have casket-shape non-mortuary items. Tea caddies and jewelry boxes are often that shape.