Leaf-Peepers Unite! Tell Us About the Greatest Spots to See the Leaves Change!

Much to the delight of those summer-haters, fall is almost here. The trees are getting ready to change color, and it’s time for the leaf-peepers to start coming out of the woodwork (get it?!). Leaf-peeping, in addition to being a delightful name for the act of going to view the changing leaves, is a popular American pastime. From the upper New England epicenter to the lesser-known colors along the West coast, there are terrific places all over the country, and even all across the world, to see the leaves change. Now we want to hear about the greatest spots for leaf-peeping that you’ve ever discovered.

(Image: Karsten Würth/Public Domain)

In the thread below, tell us about your favorite place to watch the leaves change. Let us know how you discovered it, where it was, and what makes it so damn unforgettable. And of course, if you have any incredible pictures of your perfect leaf-peeping spot, we want to see those too! Your submission might be included in an upcoming round-up article on Atlas Obscura. Fall is fleeting, so let’s work together to find the greatest spots to see the season in action, before everything changes.

2 Likes

Hello? Any one there? Going to Montreal on the Adirondack Amtrak & then by car through NE in Oct. & would appreciate suggestions.

The Berkshires!

1 Like

This is kind of subjective and sentimental , so not at all the most visually spectacular leaf changing sites but I loved seeing the autumn leaves in the Japanese garden at Holland park in London.

Also , I remember once being outside the Alcazar castle in Segovia , Spain, was the end of a long summer of fieldwork and the leaves of the huge ancient chestnut trees were taking on that golden brown and yellow tinge that hinted Autumn/ fall was in the air. It was just a lovely thing to see.

2 Likes

I imagine a castle would really enhance any leaf-peeping.

3 Likes

Babcock State Park in the New River Gorge region of West Virginia doesn’t suck :slightly_smiling_face:

6 Likes

Oh totally , with the backdrop of the Alcazar the trees and their leaves look gorgeous

My favorite place is sitting on my deck at Lake Mohawk in Malvern, Ohio.

7 Likes

Oh that’s lovely!

Fall
Northern Michigan, there are so many places here to view the beauty of fall.

7 Likes

Not a specific place, but a great resource for finding where the fall leaves are at their best in the New England area is this site: https://www.jeff-foliage.com/
You can also follow him on FaceBook: New England Fall Foliage - Home | Facebook
Sign up for his mailing list, and he will send you updates of where the best viewing areas and driving trips are located.

2 Likes

That’s so cool! Thank you for sharing!

The winding mountain roads around Jim Thorpe and the rest of the Poconos :slight_smile:

1 Like

Munising, MI…
Also Pictured Rocks
Lower peninsula - M-32 drive across the state!

5 Likes

Western (inland) Maine. Usually gets overlooked in the Vermont/New Hampshire hoopla, but I think Fall Foliage is best on these backroads. (Photo taken in the back of Oxford House Inn in Fryeburg ME).

4 Likes

Kenosha Pass in Colorado (about two hours from Denver). The Aspens are this golden hue as far as the eye can see. It looks like a giant splashed yellow paint all over the mountainsides. Here is my dog Merlot enjoying the scenery!

4 Likes

Tunnel of trees in northern Michigan. My wife and I have plans to drive through here and other locales around the area.Tunnel-of-Trees-Outdoor-Image

6 Likes

Some people have it all! Absolutely amazing location.

1 Like

Gotta get the great PNW mentioned here. This photo was taken in the Snoqualmie Valley.

6 Likes

Back in the days of the continental glaciers they stopped about 2/3 of the way down Indiana leaving a land of steep, rolling hills covered in hardwood forests. Trees from the north meet trees from the south here and the result is a tremendous show of color every fall.
The SE part of the state is the best with Brown County being the most famous, but you will see beauty all across that region. Don’t be in a hurry. The roads are narrow and crowded. And be sure to try some persimmon pudding.

2 Likes