Let's See Those Gorgeous Light Fixtures

Across the globe, beautiful light fixtures exist both high and low, from lamps to chandeliers, the world is just teeming with gorgeous sources of illumination. But lights are much more than just a utility, they can also be impressive works of art with a vibrant history all their own.

(Image: Clara Ho/Publice Domain)

In Belgrade’s Ružica Church, an impressive chandelier dangles from the ceiling, crafted from spent shell casings and other World War I weaponry. In Oman’s Sultan Qaboos Grand Mosque, you can find the second largest chandelier in the world, comprised of 600,000 pieces of crystal. It’s so large, there’s a staircase inside to help workers clean the cavalcade of lamps. In L.A. you don’t have to search far for the Urban Lights of Los Angeles, a small forest of vintage street lamps, incongruously lighting up their little block of space. The list goes on and on. These are just a few examples of the unforgettable light fixtures lighting up spaces across the globe, but now we want to hear about the most incredible lights, lamps, and chandeliers that you’ve ever discovered!

In the thread below, tell us about the grandest light fixture you’ve ever encountered. Let us know where you found it, and why you found it so incredible? Be sure to include any pictures you might have as well. Your response may be included in an upcoming round-up article on Atlas Obscura!

5 Likes

Perhaps the diva of all chandeliers

After touring New Orleans learning about its history in 2017 , I accompanied a friend on an open house tour to catch a glimpse of some preservation projects. We stopped in to visit the home of Sean Cummings on Esplanade Avenue, and found myself instantly mesmerized by a Swarovski waterfall chandelier hanging from the center of the entrance hall. Stunning to say the least. While the chandelier was new, the homes history was fascinating.

5 Likes

I’m a big fan of Dale Chihuly’s work. I’m not particularly enticed to go to Las Vegas, for example, except to see all the works of his in the hotels.

Not particularly sure what we consider light fixtures here, but a work of his called “Persian Ceiling” filters light to illuminate the hallway underneath, opposite of a Persian rug.

Chihuly Persian Ceiling 3426 by Patti Pitzer, en Flickr

9 Likes

I found out I’d be taking a trip to Munich and really wanted to see a show at the renowned Munich Opera House. By the time I found out I’d be going, the only tickets left were either 500 or 11 Euro. I couldn’t justify spending 500, so held my breath and got the 11. So in case you were wondering what a 2.5 hour Prokofiev opera looks like from the cheap seats, this is it. Damn fine chandelier, though.

6 Likes

This fits perfectly and thanks for sharing this is pretty cool.

I’m surprisingly excited about this topic.

This list must include the space-age Lobmeyr crystal chandeliers at New York’s Metropolitan Opera. When they raise to ceiling, the crowd hushes and everyone knows it’s showtime. Here’s a photo of one hanging above the lobby staircase.

Though mentioned in the intro of this topic, I’m going to mention the Chandelier at the Sultan Qaboos Grand Mosque again. According to Atlas Obscura, at the time the mosque was built, the chandelier and the handwoven carpet it hung above were both the largest in the world, though both those records have now been eclipsed. Below is my photo of it and a link to the Atlas Obscura article.

8 Likes

Check out @boob_lamps on instagram! :slight_smile:

Eastman Theatre, Rochester, NY. , home of the world-renowned Eastman School of Music. It has 20,000 Italian and Czech crystals, and was built in the '20s. There are trapdoors in the ceiling for maintenance, and when the chandelier is lowered for its annual cleaning, it’s an event. Classes are cancelled and Eastman students come to watch the cleaning and throw chandelier parties. It’s so magnificent, it’s distracting. I go to concerts there and spend the whole time looking up!

6 Likes

Four Seasons Gresham Palace in Budapest was magnificent!

4 Likes

There’s also a ceiling like this in the art museum in Oklahoma City. along with many other great pieces by him.
And there are chandeliers by Chihuly in the art museums of Minneapolis and Springfield, Missouri.

We could have a whole thread on Chihuly I think. :wink:

4 Likes

Hands down the Chandeliers in the Spanish Riding School main hall in Vienna.

6 Likes

Gaudí’s Casa Batlló in Barcelona is an absolutely marvelous house. This is one of the light fixtures that caught my attention during my visit in 2017.

5 Likes

If you’re ever in Dublin, I recommend a stop in at the Jameson Distillery Bow St. They have a few great tours are tastings you can take. And in the bar/restaurant area, they have this fantastic chandelier made from old Jameson bottles.

4 Likes

Warren Muller at Bahdeebahdu in Philadelphia: chandelier artist of great imagination

3 Likes

Wow! That’s gorgeous, thanks for sharing

2 Likes

So cool!:beers:

2 Likes

The Boch Center Wang Theatre in Boston, MA has some gorgeous art and 20+ chandeliers. Many are original to the 1925 opening of the theatre! They also do daily public tours of the building to check out the space if you aren’t able to attend a show.

2 Likes

The Paramount Theater in Denver is full of interesting art deco touches, including these beautiful chandeliers.

6 Likes

This crystal chandelier at the Blue Waters Hotel in Durban was imported from Europe when the hotel was first opened. Located in the Fontainbleau room on the second floor, it is not out in public view.
When our local high school chose the hotel to host their senior ball, the hotel’s event organiser knew this room would be a perfect venue for their “Phantom of the Opera” theme.
Absolutely gorgeous, isn’t it!

4 Likes

How about this stunning beauty in the Palais Garnier of Paris, the former opera house completed in 1875 that now is the home of the national ballet? Designed by Garnier himself, it features a lyre, the iconic symbol of Apollo, the mythic Greek god of music and light. And yes, this is the famous chandelier that the Phantom of the Opera brings crashing down in the novel of the same name by Gaston Leroux.

The ceiling murals are a relatively recent addition by Marc Chagall (1964) and feature a series of scenes representing 14 composers and their operas. His modern work sparked some controversy as it covered the original ceiling paintings seen below.

5 Likes