Lisa Frank Factory

ao-places
places
places-in-united-states
places-in-arizona

Welcome to the Atlas Obscura Community discussion of Lisa Frank Factory in Tucson, Arizona. Ask questions or share travel tips, experiences, pictures, or general comments with the community. For the story behind this place, check out the Atlas Obscura entry:
https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/lisa-frank-factory?utm_source=atlas-forum&utm_medium=referral

Is that all there was to this article, those 3 paragraphs? Or did I miss something.

A child of the 90’s wrote this article. I filled an entire sticker collection with Lisa Frank in 1984. :slight_smile:

Reuses for:
As Is?
Museum to Lisa Frank?
Other uses:
Storage, Archieve, Services Center, TV & Film Production, Parking lot,
Lab, Offices, Hospital,Urgicenter, Services Center, Business seedbed,
Hospice, other

Seems well painted and “kept up” for a building not currently in use.

The magic of Lisa Frank is immune to the effects of erosion and time. :dolphin::sparkles::rainbow::unicorn:

Paging @MeowWolf - could be an interesting site to repurpose.

Yeah, you’re right. I have very specific memories of going to the mall in 1983 or 1984 and tearing off stickers from rows and rows of Lisa Frank rolls. Simple pleasures!

I was thinking the same thing. I remember the craze back in the 80s.

Jezebel did a heck of an article about the history of the company and this factory a while back:

Definitely. Our local mall had a store called “Pandemonium” that was wall to wall Sanrio, Lisa Frank, Bonne Bell, and rainbow satin wall hangings. I spent every cent of my allowance in that store from 1983-87.

Ah, perfect!

This article is terrific (and pretty sad). Thank you for sharing!

I still think about this article from time to time. Truly one of Tracie’s best.

“Rainbow Gulag” is quite the headline!

Yes, that’s what I thought too. A child of the 90’s wrote it. :slight_smile:

I wrote this and I’m aware of Lisa Frank’s timeline. Since the factory didn’t open until the mid 90s, I thought it might be confusing to discuss the rise in the 80s. My intention was to keep the post concise and focused on the factory as the history of Lisa Frank becomes controversial quickly. Also, the peak sales occurred in the 90s and the brand wasn’t inescapably popular nationwide until the early 90s (at least for school supplies).
The editors added most of the instances of the term, “90s kid”. I attempted to restrict the usage to “alive in the 90s” as it encompasses adults and children.

As there seems to be an onslaught of annoyed 80s kids on every platform this has been posted on, I will go update the article. :slight_smile:

Sorry! :smiley: We are the forgotten generation…

At least you’re not part of the avocado toast eating destroyers of the diamond industry generation? :smiley:

First off, I want to thank you for adding this amazing place to the Atlas, and for the great write up! If the editors changed things that you think isn’t in line with your intentions for the submission, we’ll be happy to work with your edits to fix it.

I hope the reaction from 80s-era Lisa Frank fans hasn’t been too jarring. Whatever her business practices, it’s clear that her work had an impact on generations of fans, and it certainly seems clear that everyone wants to be a part of the memories. So thank you again for bringing it to everyone’s attention!