Look Up and Tell Us About the Most Incredible Decorated Ceilings!

1. I didn’t read The Phantom Tollbooth until I was in my 30s and now I’m mad at all the adults who brought me up for not introducing me to it.
  2. Grand Central is easily one of my favorite ceilings.
  3. If we’re getting into movie theater ceilings, I may have to do a rundown of our collection here in LA. It is, after all, our local obsession. There’s not a cathedral in Los Angeles that looks as religious as our movie houses.
3 Likes

Oof. Didn’t see this at all. That’s what I get for booking the discount tour.

Oh I love the Phantom Tollbooth! And thank you for so many great roofs!

1 Like

Agra Fort, Agra, India. Carved details into marble

5 Likes

Small, but mighty. Small details in Adham Khan’s tomb, New Delhi, India.

4 Likes

Church of Christ Scientist, Boston, MA.

5 Likes

Paris:
Galeries Lafayette, department store

L’église de la Madeleine

Napoleon Hall, Louvre

Parthenon

Notre Dame, before the fire

Petit Palais

Lyon
Basilica of Notre Dame

Rome
Not sure which churches, there are so many

Barcelona
National Museum of Art

Vienna

8 Likes

Three of my favorite ceilings are in Paris. First is in Galleries Lafayette:

Second is in the restaurant Fermette Marbeuf (currently closed for renovation):

And, last but not least, Marc Chagall’s ceiling in the Palais Garnier (Paris Opera House):

7 Likes

What’s even more amazing is that this was all very deliberate. Apotheosis in the title means raising of a person to god-like status or idol. Also, the painter was really into the renaissance so there’s that to lol. Thanks for sharing :fist:

2 Likes

The recently restored Jefferson Building at the Library of Congress in Washington DC has beautiful ceilings.

4 Likes

The redwood 19th century ceiling of the Crown Room at the Hotel Del Coronado (San Diego) is beautiful.crown-room-at-hotel-del

5 Likes

It may not be as spectacular as some of the other ceilings that have already been posted, but I really love the dragon painted on the ceiling of the main hall of Tofuku-ji in Kyoto.
Here’s a sorta crummy photo I took of it:

6 Likes

Prabhupada’s Palace of Gold in West Virginia

7 Likes

Chihuly’s ‘Persian Ceiling’ at the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts

7 Likes

The Shah Mosque in Isfahan, Iran

Nasir Al-Mulk Mosque in Shiraz, Iran

14 Likes

The nave of the Hieronymite Monastery in Belém, Portugal

6 Likes

Palazzo Colonna in Rome

6 Likes

Ohhh, I love this thread!
I can’t pick the most incredible, there’s just too many. But the Alhambra in Grenada, Spain has SO many amazing and intricately carved ceilings.

These photos (that I did not take) do not do the place justice. You have to see it in person to see the mind-blowing detail and beauty.

6 Likes

Richmond, Virginia
Two Ceilings in the restored Altria (formerly the Landmark and the Mosque) Theatre. images

4 Likes

In Barcelona, Palau de la Musica catalana:

11 Likes