Look Up and Tell Us About the Most Incredible Decorated Ceilings!

The recently restored Jefferson Building at the Library of Congress in Washington DC has beautiful ceilings.

4 Likes

The redwood 19th century ceiling of the Crown Room at the Hotel Del Coronado (San Diego) is beautiful.crown-room-at-hotel-del

5 Likes

It may not be as spectacular as some of the other ceilings that have already been posted, but I really love the dragon painted on the ceiling of the main hall of Tofuku-ji in Kyoto.
Here’s a sorta crummy photo I took of it:

6 Likes

Prabhupada’s Palace of Gold in West Virginia

7 Likes

Chihuly’s ‘Persian Ceiling’ at the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts

7 Likes

The Shah Mosque in Isfahan, Iran

Nasir Al-Mulk Mosque in Shiraz, Iran

14 Likes

The nave of the Hieronymite Monastery in Belém, Portugal

6 Likes

Palazzo Colonna in Rome

6 Likes

Ohhh, I love this thread!
I can’t pick the most incredible, there’s just too many. But the Alhambra in Grenada, Spain has SO many amazing and intricately carved ceilings.

These photos (that I did not take) do not do the place justice. You have to see it in person to see the mind-blowing detail and beauty.

6 Likes

Richmond, Virginia
Two Ceilings in the restored Altria (formerly the Landmark and the Mosque) Theatre. images

4 Likes

In Barcelona, Palau de la Musica catalana:

11 Likes

I have seen many magnificent ceilings in my lifetime. But the one closest to home (Long Island, NY) is the Palm Court in the Plaza Hotel. A friend invited me for afternoon tea. When I stepped into the court, I stepped back 100 years. It was lovely, the ambiance was a touch continental, and the experience was one for the books (including the wallet).Palm%20court

5 Likes

Samarkand
The Gur-e-Amir mausoleum, Tamerlane’s resting place

4 Likes

or the “palm tree” of the Convent of the Jacobins in Toulouse…

2 Likes

The Cathedral Basilica of St. Louis in St. Louis, Missouri is an amazing beautiful example of the art of mosaic.cathbasilicalpretty

5 Likes

His ceiling installation at the Bellagio in Las Vegas is also impressive.

1 Like

Philipe_Shane, you’ve misidentified one of your photos. That’s not the British Art Center but the Yale University Art Gallery (also by Louis Khan). Just look at the items on exhibit—clearly not British.

The registration lobby in the Las Vegas Bellagio Hotel also has one of the Chihulli ceilings as does a private estate in Palm Springs CA. Remarkable changes in appearance between the room daylight lit and artificial illumination at night. There is a gallery of the remarkable glass in the hotel.

1 Like

Unless I miss read it, the reference to Kings College Chapel and Frank Lloyd Wright seem to be backwards. FLW was inspired by the chapel built long before he was born, the chapel was not inspired by Johnson Wax Building.

1 Like

good catch, thanks, Ray

1 Like