Look Up and Tell Us About the Most Incredible Decorated Ceilings!

The Shah Mosque in Isfahan, Iran

Nasir Al-Mulk Mosque in Shiraz, Iran

14 Likes

The nave of the Hieronymite Monastery in Belém, Portugal

6 Likes

Palazzo Colonna in Rome

6 Likes

Ohhh, I love this thread!
I can’t pick the most incredible, there’s just too many. But the Alhambra in Grenada, Spain has SO many amazing and intricately carved ceilings.

These photos (that I did not take) do not do the place justice. You have to see it in person to see the mind-blowing detail and beauty.

6 Likes

Richmond, Virginia
Two Ceilings in the restored Altria (formerly the Landmark and the Mosque) Theatre. images

4 Likes

In Barcelona, Palau de la Musica catalana:

11 Likes

I have seen many magnificent ceilings in my lifetime. But the one closest to home (Long Island, NY) is the Palm Court in the Plaza Hotel. A friend invited me for afternoon tea. When I stepped into the court, I stepped back 100 years. It was lovely, the ambiance was a touch continental, and the experience was one for the books (including the wallet).Palm%20court

5 Likes

Samarkand
The Gur-e-Amir mausoleum, Tamerlane’s resting place

4 Likes

or the “palm tree” of the Convent of the Jacobins in Toulouse…

2 Likes

The Cathedral Basilica of St. Louis in St. Louis, Missouri is an amazing beautiful example of the art of mosaic.cathbasilicalpretty

5 Likes

His ceiling installation at the Bellagio in Las Vegas is also impressive.

1 Like

Philipe_Shane, you’ve misidentified one of your photos. That’s not the British Art Center but the Yale University Art Gallery (also by Louis Khan). Just look at the items on exhibit—clearly not British.

The registration lobby in the Las Vegas Bellagio Hotel also has one of the Chihulli ceilings as does a private estate in Palm Springs CA. Remarkable changes in appearance between the room daylight lit and artificial illumination at night. There is a gallery of the remarkable glass in the hotel.

1 Like

Unless I miss read it, the reference to Kings College Chapel and Frank Lloyd Wright seem to be backwards. FLW was inspired by the chapel built long before he was born, the chapel was not inspired by Johnson Wax Building.

1 Like

good catch, thanks, Ray

1 Like

In Troy, NY we have the Russel Sage Colleges, and a part of the campus is the Julia Howard Bush Memorial Hall. It’s filled with glorious stained glass (it used to be a Presbyterian church), including two Tiffany windows.

My favorite piece in the whole place is “The dome”. You can see just the edge of it in this photo (with all the singers): Sage Singers | The Sage Colleges (new user, can only embed 1 photo?)

But if you look up - or, as I did, lie flat on your back with your long lens camera - you get to see this:

The best part? That “dome” is actually trompe l’oeil - it’s a completely flat surface, which I didn’t know until weeks after I shot that photo of the dove.

5 Likes

Courtyard of the National Portrait gallery in Washington DC

3 Likes

The glory of the Tilya-Kori Madrasah, Samarkand. One of the three buildings that frame the Registan Square, the heart of the Silk Road

3 Likes

In Robert Byron’s words, “I have never encountered splendour of this kind before. Other interiors came into my mind as I stood there, to compare it with: Versailles, or the porcelain rooms at Schönbrunn, or the Doge’s palace, or St. Peter’s. All are rich; but none so rich. Their richness is three-dimensional; it is attended by all the effort of shadow. In the Mosque of Sheikh Luftallah, it is a richness of light and surface, of pattern and colour only. The architectural form is unimportant. It is not smothered as in rococo; it is simply the instrument of the spectacle, as earth is the instrument of a garden.” The Road to Oxiana

Note the “peacock tail”

4 Likes

There is the incredible ceiling of The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at the Ed Sullivan Theater.

4 Likes