Map of New England Oddities

Hey all! I started compiling a list of weird places throughout New England. My original plan was to start documenting more things for Atlas Obscura. However, I got a tad carried away with my research, and I can’t really see myself getting to all of these places. Rather than keeping all of this data to myself, I figured I’d share it with the AO community!

A map of all my data is available here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1TZHkGMVLDKS4ZwkEJ3TwCa8ATEMYEP0y&usp=sharing

Some notes about the data:

This was initially going to be just for personal use. Thus, I never really went through spelling and grammar.

Many descriptions are short and choppy, not giving much in-depth detail.

This is an ongoing project for me, so expect more additions to the map as time goes on.

If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, let me know!

6 Likes

Damn, @SoaringRaven! This is really incredible. Thank you so much for sharing this. What a map!

1 Like

Wow. That’s a pretty serious undertaking. Awesome stuff SR.

1 Like

Thank you!

It’s been quite the project, for sure. I can’t figure out if it’s more a labor of love or a product of procrastination… probably a bit of both.

1 Like

Wow, this is amazing! Thanks for sharing!

This may sound a bit bizarre but my husband and I lived in Manchester NH in the early 90’s and we would pass an overpass on a regular basis that had spray painted on it, “Hey, baby. Are you happy now?” It has been a regular joke between us for all these years. I am wondering if you or anyone reading this recalls seeing this and (perhaps?) if anyone has a picture of it?

1 Like

Golly, I grew up in Massachusetts and would be hard pressed to name 10 interesting things between the Mad River in Vermont and Narragansett Bay, and you have a bout 200!
Atlas Obscura inspired me to buy a copy of The New England Grimpendium by J.W. Ocker. That has a lot of nifty history about otherwise unremarkable looking places; I hope they all make it on to your map. (I can’t put my hands on my copy to cross reference all that.)

1 Like

I’ve been meaning to pick up a copy of New England Grimpendium for a while. I’ve been following Ocker’s blog for ages!

Most of my research so far has been either online, word of mouth, or just stumbling on things in my travels. There are a few places that I found out about by reading AMC Trail Guides.

2 Likes

@SoaringRaven
This is awesome thanks so much for sharing.
Here’s two more that you might be interested in: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1hj1_G9FQlkvvBnKzvBFoZX6zf0GNKOeF&usp=sharing

1 Like