Maroon Bells

ao-places
places
places-in-united-states
places-in-colorado

Welcome to the Atlas Obscura Community discussion of Maroon Bells in Aspen, Colorado. Ask questions or share travel tips, experiences, pictures, or general comments with the community. For the story behind this place, check out the Atlas Obscura entry:

From a few times in my youth. It seemed to be overly popular and crowded back then; I cannot imagine what it must be like now.

I know it is cliche, but it puzzles me that this is so popular when there are so many other equally magnificent scenes in the Rockies.

1 Like

What are some examples? I’m looking for off the beaten path things to see on my vacation this summer.

1 Like

Hi!

Very good question!

On my part I love the Uncompahgre Wilderness. Also check out Ice Lake Basin in the San Juans. Chicago Basin in the San Juans is great, though I have not done it; accessible via the Durango train with multiple 14ers within reach.

I was probably too snotty. I cannot list many off the top of my head. Sorry about that.

1 Like

Not at all. I’d love to actually find less touristy places that I can visit as I drive back to Texas.

Thanks for the recommendations.

1 Like