Mars Bluff Crater

Welcome to the Atlas Obscura Community discussion of Mars Bluff Crater in Florence, South Carolina. Ask questions or share travel tips, experiences, pictures, or general comments with the community. For the story behind this place, check out the Atlas Obscura entry:
https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/mars-bluff-crater?utm_source=atlas-forum&utm_medium=referral

Do not attempt to find this place. We have spent the last jour and a 1/2 trampling yhet ough tic infeasted woods Looking for it and it is nowhere to be found. Once you have been hunting for over an hour for a crater, everything starts looking like a crater. The road is full of huge potholes and very big weeds that are about as tall as your car at some points. It is also dotted with open sewers that have ladders to crawl down into them. There are no manhole covers over them. so if walking it you could fall in one and if driving you could easily get your tire caught in 1. The place is littered with cans and bottles in a mattress and sofas and remnants of camp fires. But after our exhaustive search, the crater remains elusive. We love to hunt down destinations from this website and explore, but this one is not recommended.

4 Likes

Yeesh! I’m sorry to hear that you had such terrible time trying to find the crater. Thanks for the warning!

We found it!! If you ever want to check it out drive to 4770 Lucius Circle on the Francis Marion Forest division. Park on TNT street in front of the cream colored house (4770) and walk to the left of the house (southwest side) . About ten yards into the woods you will see signs and the crater. Very easy!

4 Likes

Ha! I’m glad it you were able to finally get there!

1 Like

You guys rule. That is some next level searching. Amazing!

1 Like

I live a few miles from this site so if I can offer any assistance or information about the area I’d be glad to do so. I can recommend accommodations, dining, etc.

1 Like

I thought so- unfortunately, we didn’t get out as thought we were trespassing. Thanks for the information.