Martimus's Grave

Welcome to the Atlas Obscura Community discussion of Martimus’s Grave in Ontario. Ask questions or share travel tips, experiences, pictures, or general comments with the community. For the story behind this place, check out the Atlas Obscura entry:

Wow. Where to begin. First of all, the horse’s name was Martimas, not Martimus, as very clearly shown in the photo of the monument. It was spelled wrong 5 out of 6 times in the article. Secondly, the quotation ends “Is it [not “sit”] folly that I hope it may be so?” Lastly, the quotation is not “stated by the horse’s famed trainer, Ed Whyte.” It’s from the writer and horseman George Whyte-Melville. And it took me about 90 seconds to find that on the internet; not a big investment of time to check a few facts.

Oh boy…do I feel embarrassed… of course it is Martimas and not Martimus (my brain must have been on vacation). I knew I shouldn’t have included my own musing about the quotation. As you say it would have taken a simple search on the internet…but having the same (un-hyphenated) last name as the trainer (what a coincidence!) Thank you for your keen eye and I have now learned a little more than I knew yesterday. Stacie

Hey @pmecml. Thanks for the catches in this place. The errors should be corrected now. And thank you again, @stacieroberts2 for adding the wonderful place. We should be all set!

1 Like