Montebore

Welcome to the Atlas Obscura Community discussion of Montebore. Ask questions or share tips, experiences, pictures, or general comments with the community. For the story behind this food, check out the Atlas Obscura entry:

Okay, so this is an article about an obscure, yet historically important, food product…

…and doesn’t share for perpetuity it’s recipe.

What’s the point? Is it just to drive tourist dollars to Italy? Because a lot of us would rather make cheese than fly transatlantic…

Please, please, please. When there’s some recipe to talk about, at least give us a close approximation we can achieve from home.

2 Likes

@paulschreiner42 I had the same reaction. Finding even an approximation of a recipe seems near-impossible. The Slow Food people seem to be guarding it.
The best description I could find was HERE
There is no detail around the ratio of creams, or specifics related to certain cow & ewe breeds that could be regional. But it least it has the temps.
Good luck. I suck at making cheese, but I keep trying.

@paulschreiner42 The Montebore is a cheese protected by Slow Food.
You can’t expect to take simple milk and recreate it from scratch. Montebore is a centuries-old tradition that survives in the valleys of the Tortona area. To produce it you need the milk of cows of the Tortona breed, native to that area. Every family of cheese makers has its own centuries-old recipe that has been handed down from generation to generation.

Every food is not just food. It is the union of products that are the fruit of a specific land and the result of a specific tradition. The quality of a dish depends solely on the quality of the product with which it is made. Nothing will ever replace the milk of the Tortona cows. This is why Italian dishes made in Italy with Italian products are irreplaceable and unique in their kind. Do whatever you want, you will never get the same thing. If you want to try doing Montebore in the US, try it, but it will never be the same cheese.

There are already producers and associations for the protection of Montebore and I assure you that it will not be your contribution to saving it. Especially someone who claims to recreate a cheese without ever having tasted it.

If you want to do something to protect and encourage the production of Montebore please come to Italy, come to Tortona, taste it, buy it and take it home.

2 Likes