Most Beautiful Libraries

Of course it is in New Hampshire, my bad…
I did a copy/paste to avoid writing the entire location by hand and I just propagated the error without checking. :sweat:
I amended the post with the correct location.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing this! I can remember studying here when I was a student back in the 70’s.

3 Likes

My vote is for the Detroit Public Library in Detroit, Michigan:

5 Likes

Santiago Calatrava’s Law Library at the University of Zurich.
The louvered roof responds to the changing sun creating dancing shadows and light beams throughout the space. I have visited only once but remember the experience very fondly!!

10 Likes

The Bodleian, Oxford Uni. UK. (https://www.bodleian.ox.ac.uk/__data/assets/image/0018/101277/Resized-Credit-photo-Greg-Smolonski-2010-Bodleian_Libraries_10_073.JPG)

3 Likes

I was fortunate to see the Bibliotheca Alexandrina in 2006 when traveling in Egypt. The library was designed by a Norwegian architectural firm and construction began in 1995 and opened in 2002. The cost was US $220 Million which also included a conference centre, a special library for maps, multimedia, children, visually impaired along with four museums and art galleries and a planetarium . The library collection is trilingual, containing books in Arabic, French and English and it was designed to hold up eight million books. The main building was designed in the shape of a tilted sundial and the outside walls have 120 different human scripts carved into the Granite walls. It was quite an amazing place to see and experience.

5 Likes

sorry my photos are not the greatest

1 Like

Yes, the Suzallo Library on the University of Washington campus. Serves as the backdrop for ESPN Game Day and other events.

1 Like

Not strictly a library, but a bookstore: The Livraria Lello bookstore in Porto. I’m borrowing the Atlas Obscura post because their photos are much better than mine.
Because this bookstore helped inspire J.K. Rowling’s vision of Hogwarts, the place is crowded. I even had to pay admission when I visited in 2016.

3 Likes

University Library Fiolstræde, Copenhagen. Sadly just closed.

7 Likes

So cool. Very Frank Lloyd Wright, especially the Guggenheim Museum.

1 Like

The Seattle Central Library by Rem Koolhaas. Surprises around every corner and in every nook and cranny! https://share.icloud.com/photos/0ZA0c6QC0j1Flyj4BZ8MbUh3Q

7 Likes

I am so fortunate to be able to visit this library whenever the spirit moves me.
Suzzallo Library University of Washington campus.suzzallo-library
photo credit: collegerank.net

4 Likes

Muskegon, Michigan, hosts the Hackley Public Library, a marvel of brick masonry and stained glass portraits of authors such as Shakespeare and Goethe. Opened in 1890, the building was the gift of Charles Hackley, a lumber baron, to the City of Muskegon Public Schools.
A bust of Mr. Hackley frequently sports a Muskegon High School “Big Reds” t-shirt.

1 Like

Linderman Library, at Lehigh University in Bethlehem PA, recognized as one of the most beautiful in the world, now 14o years old.

4 Likes

Pickler Memorial Library on the campus of Truman State University in Kirksville, MO. Many great memories made there. I love visiting libraries everywhere I visit, but when I think of a library, this is the library that pops into my head. (more pics in replies)

1 Like

17948-640x480_c

1 Like

Library-Clock-Tower-Planetarium-640x480_c

1 Like

I went to the Strahov Monastery library in Prague. It was amazing!

The most beautiful library I have ever seen was in Coimbra, Portugal.

Biblioteca Joanina, constructed in 1717, is located in the University of Coimbra. This baroque library was made with teak which maintains a healthy humidity level and temperature inside the library. Teak is also a natural insect repellent.

The whole library is just a work of art!

7 Likes