Most Incredible Bridges?

Once bridge, now skywalk. The Kinzua viaduct was wiped out famously by a tornado in 2003. The remnants still exist on the forest floor. There’s now an observation deck with a glass floor. Not for those with a fear of heights.

4 Likes

Five miles north of Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, is the longest stone arch railroad bridge in the world. Completed in 1902, the Rockville Bridge crosses the Susquehanna River with forty-eight 70-foot spans; total length: 3,820 feet / 1,160 m. Its prosaic appearance won’t win any beauty contests, but that hardly matters: it carried four sets of tracks at a time when railroads were the backbone of U.S. commerce. In 1975, the Rockville Bridge was listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

Credit: U.S. Department of the Interior/ in the public domain.

3 Likes

I love the Bridge of Flowers in Shelburne Falls, MA! The bridge was originally built for a trolley line across the Deerfield River, connecting the towns of Shelburne and Buckland. The trolley line ceased operations in 1927. The bridge was left abandoned, until a local resident, Antoinette Burnham, had the idea to turn the bridge into a beautiful “Bridge of Flowers.” In April of 1929, several local civic organizations worked together to transform the abandoned bridge into a pedestrian walkway lined with flowers and greenery. Today, the Bridge of Flowers remains a beautiful attraction in Shelburne Falls.

6 Likes

How about the Chesapeake Bay Tunnel Bridge:

9 Likes

Some more primitive bridges from out-of-the-way places have to include this style in Mongolia’s Orkhon valley…

2 Likes

Quite a collection! They remind me of one of my favorite folk songs, Bridges, composed by Bill Staines, worth a listen. Here’s a link: YouTube
Last couple lines:
Oh, and if someone should ask us,
Where we’re off and bound today,
We will tell them, “Building Bridges,”
And be off and on our way.

1 Like

Die Rakotzbrücke is also one of my favourites, pure poetry!

Then there is Gorge De L’areuse in Switzerland

Ponte Gobbo (or Ponte Del Diavolo - another Devil’s bridge) in Piacenza, Italy

And yet another Devil’s Bridge In Rhodope Mountains, Bulgaria

Gaztelugatxe in Spain

Good ole Gapstow in Central Park

Root Bridge in India

The Moon Bridge in Taipei

Stari Most in Mostar, Bosnia (old Ottoman bridge, destroyed in '91 war and rebuilt)

The stunning Multnomah Falls in Oregon

Latefossen Bridge in Norway

Berlengas bridge in Portugal

And the eternal Pont Alexandre III in Paris

7 Likes

That must have been a real Honor Martin to meet that man. To be a fly on the wall. Thanks for sharing Sir!

1 Like

Amazing bridge. Thanks for sharing Andrew…:slight_smile:

1 Like

Priceless. The Celebration of Man’s Imagination wearing a Black tie!..:wink:

1 Like

OMG thank you for all the amazing photos!

Im from Virginia and have never seen this angle of the bridge…amazing pic.

What to do if landslides and rockfalls keep destroying the road (and cars on it)? Build out over the ocean. This is Sea Cliff Bridge in Wollongong, Australia - a city about an hour south of Sydney.

3 Likes

I like this dragon bridge in Danang (Vietnam), because it nicely connects with the culture of this country.

I was told, that in the evening there’s water flowing out of the dragon head.

4 Likes

I’ve gotta nominate some other great New York bridges, too:

And this mighty one, which impresses me not only with it’s grand arch (a bit reminiscent of Sydney Harbor bridge, not sure if they’re related) but also its long, winding elevated approaches, composed of gigantic arches, each one of which is incredibly masssive in itself.

View of a train crossing the bridge:

View from a train crossing the bridge:

It has a pretty dramatic history, too!

From Wikipedia:

In October 1776, Admiral Howe sailed some of the British fleet through the strait, an action which was considered reckless at the time.[6]

In 1851, the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers began to clear obstacles from the strait with explosives; the process would last 70 years.[7] On September 24, 1876, the Corps used 50,000 pounds (23,000 kg) of explosives to blast the dangerous rocks, which was followed by further blasting work.[8] On October 10, 1885, the Corps carried out the largest explosion in this process, annihilating Flood Rock with 300,000 pounds (140,000 kg) of explosives.[9] The blast was felt as far away as Princeton, New Jersey[9] and sent a geyser of water 250 feet (76 m) in the air.[10] A 2006 article described the blast as “the largest planned explosion before testing began for the atomic bomb”,[10] although the detonation at the Battle of Messines in 1917 was several times larger. Rubble from the detonation was used in 1890 to fill the gap between Great Mill Rock and Little Mill Rock, merging the two islands into a single island, Mill Rock.[9]The incident inspired the climactic conclusion of Bram Stoker’s novel The Lair of the White Worm .[ citation needed ]

1885 explosion

By the late 19th century, hundreds of ships, including HMS Hussar , had sunk in the strait.[ citation needed ] It was spanned in 1917 by the New York Connecting Railroad Bridge (now called the Hell Gate Bridge), which connects Wards Island and Queens. The bridge provides a direct rail link between New Englandand New York City.[11] In 1936, it was spanned by the Triborough Bridge (officially Robert F. Kennedy Bridge since 2008), allowing vehicular traffic to pass among Manhattan, the Bronx, and Queens.[12]

3 Likes

Hi Phillip
Sitting here at my desk in Sydney, with a view of “The Coathanger” from our lunchroom, a comment on your question re the Sydney Harbour Bridge (SHB). I am presuming that the red bridge you provide a photo of is the Hell Gate Bridge. If so, then Sydney definitely owes a word of thanks to New York. In 2007 we celebrated the 75th anniversary of the opening of the SHB, including a very good exhibition “Bridging Sydney”. An article on that exhibition (by a leading professor of Landscape Architecture) included these words: “The most important point in the whole bridge saga was Bradfield’s last-minute decision to amend the tender documents in 1922 to include the option of an arch bridge, in addition to the long-favoured – and supremely ugly – cantilever solution. The change followed an all-important trip to the United States by Bradfield as part of a six-month world tour in 1922. The decisive influence was unquestionably the opportunity to see the completed Hell Gate Bridge in New York – the greatest arch bridge of its time, designed in 1905 by Gustav Lindenthal and opened in 1916/1917. This magnificent rail bridge spans the treacherous strait between the East River and Long Island Sound and was built to connect the New Haven and Pennsylvania Railroad systems. Bradfield’s 1923 single-arch specification for the Sydney Harbour Bridge, in essence, derives from Lindenthal’s work in its structural system, construction method and monumental presence. Bridging Sydney should have given greater space to Lindenthal’s achievement, and to the similarities and differences between the Hell Gate Bridge and its Southern Hemisphere progeny.”
Cheers Allan

3 Likes

Colorado boasts a few bridges even for a state with near the headwaters of several rivers which makes for rather small rivers. The most obvious is the Royal Gorge Bridge

Although no longer the highest bridge in the World, it still ranks fairly high (11th) on the list of World’s Highest Bridges.

Two other bridges of note in Colorado are these two unpublished submissions

While not very large, the Devil’s Slide trestles cling to the side of a mountain with a 1000 foot drop to a fork of Boulder Creek. They can still be crossed by foot.

Rifle Site Notch trestle is larger and in worse shape but it is a fine example of railroad engineering. Few of these trestles still exist in any kind of shape here in Colorado. The harsh high country weather takes it toll.

2 Likes

Hindu devotees cross the Ganges after bathing in the waters at Sangam on February 10, 2013. #

Jitendra Prakash / Reuters

2 Likes

wow what great info, thanks!!!

Sometimes it’s a case of right place, right time as I found in Emmerich Am Rhein last year. I turned a corner on my way down to the river and found this:

It’s not a particularly unusual bridge in this part of the world but a fine photo opportunity! Lucky me

2 Likes