Movies You've Watched for a Trip

Inspired by a post from @lukert33 , I want to know what movies you’ve watched in conjunction with a trip.

My best example is that I watched a bunch of German Expressionist films like the Cabinet of Dr. Caligari before heading to Berlin. I’d also recommend Roman Holiday before visiting Rome, Moulin Rouge ahead of Paris, and A Star is Born (1937) if you’re going to Los Angeles.

4 Likes

I love your riff on this, @haleyknoph! I watched Tampopo before my trip to Japan to learn about all things ramen. :fish_cake: Here’s a great clip…

The 47 Ronin is also classic.

6 Likes

Only one I can remember at the moment is the old 60’s French resistance film “Army of shadows” for a trip to Paris a couple of years back.

1 Like

That one’s on my list, especially before going to Japan!

1 Like

I adore any film by Jean-Pierre Melville, and this one sounds great for a trip to France.

1 Like

I definitely watched and re-watched Lost in Translation before a Tokyo trip.

Also, a slightly oddball one, but if you’re ever thinking of going to the small Maltese island of Gozo—and you should, it’s delightful—it’s worth sitting through the recent Brad Pitt and Angelina film By the Sea as it stands-in for Italy. You can see what I mean from the first few seconds of the trailer:

2 Likes

Does watching The Great British Bakeoff before visiting my family in the English countryside count??

5 Likes

Cliche alert, but also Midnight in Paris before a visit to Paris.

2 Likes

I have to warn you it’s an extremely grim and depressing film , but I think its a pretty good one to see to have an idea what it was like to be in the resistance movement during the Nazi occupation.

2 Likes

It absolutely counts!

I watched the extremely fun documentary Chuck Norris vs Communism before going to Romania. It provided a lot of context for the dozens of abandoned industrial buildings I saw along the highway while driving through Transylvania.

https://www.netflix.com/title/80039422

4 Likes

Cliche is okay, that film is delightfully Parisian!

2 Likes

Also, Scorsese’s yuppy nightmare comedy After Hours is a necessity for anyone visiting (or living near) downtown Manhattan.

2 Likes

Oh yes, Lost in Translation is absolutely perfect for Tokyo. By the Sea has been on my watchlist, but I might save it for the next time I head to Italy or Malta.

1 Like

This sounds amazing, I’ll definitely have to check this one out.

1 Like

And, for what it’s worth, I really recommend Romania as a destination. The area in and around the Carpathians is gorgeous, and in my opinion it’s got the wildest history of the non-Russia soviet bloc. (Only achieved independence in the late 1800s, gained big by fighting for the allies in WWI, had to come in late to WWII to fight with the axis, then occupied by soviets.)

As a travel destination, it also has some of the most amazing intact medieval castles, palaces, and fortresses, and excellent wine.

3 Likes

Dont forget the wildlife , lots of bears , lynx and wolves in the Carpathians. In fact its hard to think of another region of Europe except for Spain which is as good for seeing the big charismatic European mammals as Romania.

2 Likes

Last year for Halloween my wife and I went to New Orleans - our favorite trip to date I think. Given the place and timing, we watched Interview with a Vampire as well as the whole season of American Horror Story: Coven.

4 Likes

Great topic idea, @hayleyknoph!

I’ve been wanting to visit Prince Edward Island ever since watching the movie adaptation of Anne of Green Gables. Still haven’t made it there, but it’s on my list.

A Little Romance is sweet if you’re going to Venice with a special someone. And In Brugges is a pretty hilarious intro to that city.

But the one that really takes the cake: I watched Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade the night before touring Petra (many of the hostels in the area screen it nightly). The next day our group of 8 college students trooped through the site singing “dan da da da! dan da daaaa :musical_note:”. I’m sure our fellow tourists were thrilled :slight_smile:
https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/petra

6 Likes

@ArielAzoff These are all really perfect, but especially Last Crusade! That movie was the sole catalyst for my wanting to go to Petra when I saw it as a kid!

2 Likes