Moxie

Welcome to the Atlas Obscura Community discussion of Moxie. Ask questions or share tips, experiences, pictures, or general comments with the community. For the story behind this food, check out the Atlas Obscura entry:

1 Like

My grandfather drank Moxie, he was a WWI and WWII vet. I hated it as a kid, but now I drink bourbon with a splash of Moxie. Nice any time of year. Especially in Brownfield ME floating down the Saco River.

While researching foods made with soda (there’s a thread about it here somewhere) I found a recipe for Moxie Baked Beans, which is possibly the most New England thing you can eat. I haven’t tried it, and I don’t know if anyone ever has. The recipe was on the Moxie website and could have been a marketing gimmick.
I’m not a big consumer of soda, but I usually have a few cans of Moxie on my annual trip back to Maine, along with some Needhams* and Whoopie Pies.

*Mashed potato and coconut covered in chocolate.

I tried Moxie a couple years ago on my 1st visit to Maine. I didn’t like it. Seems to be an acquired taste, in my opinion. But I liked hearing the history behind it.