Nashville Music Shops — seeking recommendations

Looking for recommendations for best locally owned music shops to visit on an upcoming road trip to Nashville — any favorites not to be missed? I have Carter Vintage Guitars on the list… anyone ever been?

1 Like

There’s got to be like a whole district of Nashville music shops!

1 Like

Definitely Carter Vintage for instruments. Grimeys is a fine store for vinyl/CDs etc.

1 Like

Grimey’s is probably your best destination. I think there is one on 8th (near Edgehill Polar Bears hint hint) and another in East Nashville on Trinity lane. One or both also host small venues for live performances, look up Grimey’s and/or The Basement and pay attention to which location.

Look for The Great Escape if you like records, books, movies, comics, large selection of collectibles. Also has two locations, been in business for decades.

McKay’s Bookstore is a lot more than a bookstore, you might check online to see if that interests you.

3 Likes

Surprisingly I would say there are few record shops but a lot of places for instruments and every place with a menu basically has a live act every night or is a chain restaurant. Kinda hard to find a quiet meal in town :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Yes Carter Vintage is really great. What an inventory. You should probably stop by Gruhn’s Guitars too. They had a storefront on Broadway for years but thanks to the tourism boom here, he had to move because folks wanting to actually buy guitars/amps were having difficulty shopping there because of the people stopping in the store just to cool off or charge their cellphones.

If you haven’t gone to Music Row in Nashville yet, that’s probably something to add to the bucket list.

2 Likes

Hi Megan! A local favorite in my East Nashville neighborhood is Fanny’s House of Music. They are a locally-owned community staple for instruments new and used, electric and acoustic. They also have tech and accessories, as well as a cute selection of vintage clothes.

Another place I’d highly recommend is Jack White’s Third Man Records, where the man himself set a world record for fastest-ever released record. You can stop in to shop, or you may want to opt for a tour to see the vinyl presses!

Several people have mentioned Grimey’s on this thread, and some other great local record shops include The Groove and Alison’s Record Shop. Also, a cute little neighborhood hideaway is Vinyl Tap, which is a record shop and bar.

I’ve previously listed some music-related places in Nashville on the “Music Themed Road Trip” thread, which may be of interest!

I hope you enjoy your time in Nashville!

2 Likes

Thank you so much Allison! These are fantastic. We had Carter’s on our list, but I think Fanny’s is a must now after reading a few of these recommendations. Can’t wait — and yes, that Music City Road Trip itinerary was a lot of fun. Did you ever stumble across the final product?

1 Like

Gruhn’s! thanks for the tip! Adding it now!

I haven’t seen this until now! It’s amazing, thanks so much for sharing!

1 Like

music shops are everywhere and a lot of them are pretty authentic. is there any local secrets to nashville? coming back next month for halloween!

1 Like