Nebra Sky Disc

ao-places
places
places-in-germany

Welcome to the Atlas Obscura Community discussion of Nebra Sky Disc in Halle (Saale), Germany. Ask questions or share travel tips, experiences, pictures, or general comments with the community. For the story behind this place, check out the Atlas Obscura entry:

My spouse once wove a giant version of the Nebra Sky disk out of recycled textiles:

11 Likes

How does the disk work?

1 Like

I wish, just once, there would be more of a description of objects on Atlas Obscura. I assumed the disc was the size of a brooch, maybe 2 inches across at most, until I read they thought it was a shield, which changes it dramatically. This happens all the time on Atlas Obscura, especially with natural formations, which can be 3 feet tall or 300 feet tall. I don’t know why they choose to be so coy…

It can’t be too sophisticated if is shows stars shining through, and not obscured by, the dark part of the lunar disk.

When you look at research field photos, there is often a common item added for scale,
such a rock-hammer, pencil, coin, or business card. If the direction is important a compass or a card with North Arrow drawn on it. Archaeologists will include a ruler and an item number in photos.
I worked for an aerospace company where a white foam coffee cup lit-up the corner of every engineering flash photo for scale or was it a running joke? This also kept the marketing folks from using these photos without cropping and inspired a memo from the company president asking for this to stop.

I apologize for the frustration. Since many of our images are user generated, or Creative Commons, we don’t always have the option of finding a picture that features comparative scale. Here is one, if it helps:

nebraskydisc

1 Like

Very nice piece of artwork. Admiring their talent and inspiration!

1 Like

Thank you! I only wish I had a better photograph…

1 Like

That is so sweet!