Oatman AZ White Supremacists

I drove into Oatman AZ last week, and I just wanted to let people who were considering going know that several of the shops there sell 3 Percenter flags, Confederate flags, etc. I just wanted to mention this so that people know about it before they decide whether to go or not. I didn’t enter any of the shops because of the displays of White Supremacist symbols, nor did I interact with anyone in the town. I hung out with a couple of donkeys and left.

7 Likes

What a shame (for your trip and the town). Appreciate the heads-up.

4 Likes

Was just in Oatman last week, and had the same experience. One shop in particular that is very near the public restroom had a LOT of this type of merchandise - almost everything in the store was related to this or was political in nature.

2 Likes

Yes, I noticed that too, at least from the outside of the shop.

2 Likes

I stepped in…saw that…and immediately stepped right back out. The donkeys were cool, though!

1 Like

What a shame! Oatman used to be such a fun little stop. Back in the 90s, my husband and I even once spent the night in the old Oatman Hotel (an experience we still talk about, but would not want to repeat). It was always one of those places that seemed “rough & ready”, but back then it seemed mostly all in fun. Politics have ruined so many things. Thanks for the heads up.

1 Like

You did very well, it’s a shame that these things are still happening anyways thanks for the information

I wish I had seen this post before I went! I had a similarly uncomfortable experience with the amount of Confederate and white supremacist signage and things for sale. It was truly everywhere – I struggled to find a store that wasn’t selling merchandise related to far right extremism in some way. This really needs to be posted in the entry. As a queer white person traveling Route 66, I was wildly uncomfortable, and I can’t even imagine the experiences of more marginalized people that have no idea this is a thing.

I’m really sorry to hear that you had that experience. I agree; this should make its way to the main entry I think so folks know beforehand, as it’s a challenging drive, only to be met with hatred.