Ollantaytambo Ruins

Welcome to the Atlas Obscura Community discussion of Ollantaytambo Ruins in Ollantaytambo, Peru. Ask questions or share travel tips, experiences, pictures, or general comments with the community. For the story behind this place, check out the Atlas Obscura entry:

1 Like

We sent 3 days here on our way to Machu Pichu a few years ago, its also known as the Garden District. we had a driver I strongly recommend doing the same, our Driver made himself available and would pick us up and drive us to dinner. We also had a guide David. The guides must have a 4 year degree in history and be fluent in at least one foreign language. I will post additional information at a later date including pictures. the cost of the driver was $35.00 a day that included gas, he stayed with the vehicle and guarded out bags every second we were not in the car. The guide cost $40/day well worth it.

2 Likes

This is some awesome information and tips. Thanks for sharing! :beers:

I visited Ollantaytambo in 1972 during my summer in Peru. What an impressive place! Incan stonework is unrivaled and famous for stones that are cut and fitted together so tightly that the blade of a bread knife will not fit between them. To do that today, one would need a laser cutting tool. How they did it back then is a mystery for the ages.

You see the same degree of precision at Machu Picchu, Sacsayhuaman, Ollantaytambo and other Incan fortifications. How did they do it? How were the pyramids built? How was Stonehenge erected? I wish someone would find the answers in my lifetime, but I don’t think that’s going to happen. At least this beautiful stonework will still be around for centuries so that many generations can see it and marvel.

In 2006, after doing some work in the Amazon, I spent a week based in Ollantaytambo in the Sacred Valley. As great as Machu Picchu is, there are many other lesser-known sites around that are especially impressive. Ollantaytambo is one of the best I got to see, along with the ruins above Pisac. Here are some of my photos from Ollantaytambo, including one of the very impressive and still functioning original water fountains. Ollantaytambo itself is one of the most authentically preserved of the Incan towns. I’d love to return to this amazing place.

2 Likes

I, too, would return in a heartbeat if I could. The Sacred Valley of the Incas is one of the most amazing places I’ve ever visited. I live in a place that prides itself for it’s 250-300 years of history. To visit these ancient, beautiful places in Peru (especially at the age of 16-17 - I celebrated my birthday there) was mind-blowing and I’ll remember every part o that trip vividly for the remainder of my life.

Lady chew on coca leaves
where we stayed
the gardens at our “house” had 3 bedrooms and was very reasonable, they have about six and its all in a walled enclosure.
Ruins

2 Likes

Awesome pics!! Thanks for sharing